Smartboard help!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rabbitt, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I found out today that my grade 2 classroom will get a smartboard!
    It's one of nine but the first to our school.

I am excited but don't know where to begin!
    I have seen them used in the classroom so I know what they are capable of but I have never even touched one or turned it on. :eek:

I do know that I will not have a laptop with it.
    I do know that it will not be ready for use until the week prior to school.

Before I started surfing the net myself, I thought my A to Z friends would know where to begin.

:help: :help: :help:

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Congrats! Make sure to download the Notebook software to your home computer and start trying it out. I got one at the end of last year and my second graders loved it! Our technology guy helped me with turning it on and hooking it up. I used it for math a lot. There are tons of images to use in the gallery.

4. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

CONGRATS!!! You will be able to do so many things with it. I would start by doing your calendar on it. If you PM me, I will send you a great calendar that someone sent me.

Also you can go to: http://smarttech.com/
    They have alot of lessons made that you can download.

5. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

You really should see if your district offers any classes on how to make/use lessons. I've taken a couple and they help tremendously. The link below is a site from my school district with lots of smartboard lessons already created. I also do "check in" on the smartboard each day. The kids find their name and drag it to the hot or cold lunch column. I do calendar on the smartboard too. I can email you my calendar lesson if you want it. I love it and I spent a lot of time putting the songs we sing on each slide. Another suggestion... Get familiar with Smart Notebook 10. See if you can download it or find some tutorials on how to use it. It is not hard, but you need to know where things are and how to create them. You'll love it.

http://technology.usd259.org/resources/whiteboards/smartlessons.htm

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Thanks a bunch!
    Looks like I cannot do much until I get into Notebook?

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2009

I can download notebook on my home computer? for free? Do I need district info? Where? Does it work on a Mac?

I get a new smartboard too. :) I just found out mine has a fancy switch on the wall that turns on the smartboard, the document camera and the tv turner. I also have 5 or 6 vcr looking black boxes in a cabinet and I have no idea what each of them do.

8. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Call your university, they may have a student teacher cd you could borrow. at our "lab" that the education majors use we have it installed on all the computers for us to practice. Maybe you can see if you could explore on the education depts computers!

It's kinda like powerpoint is the best way I can explain it. So if you can create powerpoint presentations, you can do smartboard!

Good luck, You will LOVE it!!

9. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

You and your students will have a great time with the SmartBoard! It is such a great teaching/learning tool. Our district offered a course and that really helped with some shortcuts/tricks.
    If I remember correctly, I had to bring the CD home to download the SmartBoard notebook onto my home computer. I think if you do it online, you have to have a security code (I may be mistaken though.) I agree with SweetHome in that it is like creating a powerpoint. I think it is even easier and way cooler!!!!
    If you Google "interactive whiteboard activities" or "interactive smartboard activities" you should get some really good sites to pull games/lessons from!
    Have fun!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2009

I just found out you can download it for free for 30 days. That will work until I get a security code.

11. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 17, 2009

for the security code you just need the seriel number off of your machine-you enter that into the download form and then they send you the access code.

I'm getting a smartboard this year too but I've used them at other years. I just finished a 2 day training on creating smartlessons and senteos.

13. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

My first year using a smartboard I had a laptop. The second year I received a wall mounted smartboard that was hooked up to one of my desktop computers.

You will enjoy using it.

In Missouri, we are able to go to Success Link training. I am not sure if that is just a Missouri training opportunity or not. I had already had a training from somewhere else, but learned a lot more at Success Link's level one training.