Smartboard centre?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Jul 4, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jul 4, 2010

I am starting to think about my literacy centres for next year. I would really like to have one centre at the Smartboard, but I'm not exactly sure what it would look like. Anyone care to share how you use your Smartboard as a literacy centre?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2010

You can do all kinds of things... from practicing handwriting to computer programs like starfall.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2010

I haven't used my smartboard itself as a center (still too new, lol), although my kids are interacting with it all day. What I DID do was download and install the notebook software on all of my classroom computers so that my kiddos can run the smartboard games, activities, etc., on THEIR computers during rotations.

5. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

I would not recommend using the smart board as a center if it is during your guided reading time- since it is so large it is difficult for other children working or in group to not be distracted by it.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I was wondering if it would be a distraction!

How about the overhead? Is it as much of a distraction?

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I use the promethean board as a center and it is PERFECT. And I teach kinder. My guided reading group is turned away from it and the other kids know if they are not doing their center there are consequence - and NO ONE wants to miss their chance at the promethean board.

I think its all about teaching expectations and consequences.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I use overhead as a center too. Again when you incorporate these tools as a normal part of the day and a normal part of center time, the kids use them as they do any other materials. I use the promethean board throughout the entire day so it is normal for my kids. Yes they love it, but they don't think twice when they see it going - its normal to them.

9. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

There is a refrigerator magnet function in the gallery. I had my first graders practice spelling words with it as a station/center. You can also set up a word sort. =)

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I also like having my kids draw a picture and then writing a sentence about it.

11. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

In my 2nd grade class last year, I used the Smartboard during our workshop/center time. Depending on the skill we were working on you could create everything from large word sorts (that can be saved and reused for next time you focus on that skill), to interactive games and sequencing activities. My kids always looked forward to the day that the Smartboard was their center.

Edit: creating any notebook page that uses things kids can move is what's going to engage them in a meaningful way (like the word sorts and/or sequencing)

For sequencing, it can be anything from short sentences they move and put in order to tell a story or give directions, or it could be pictures, or a combination.

I love using my SB!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

I love using it as a center & it works great for the kids! We have several websites that the district pays for such as Study Island & the kids use it to practice/review skills we are working on. For this station, I split the group so that you have some that are working at the computers & some at the smartboard. There are no more than 3 students at a time working on the smartboard. The Active Inspire (sp?) software that comes with the smartboard, also provides games & activities for kids to practice on various subjects.

It really has worked very well in my classroom. BTW the smartboard is by my GR center.

13. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

I also use the Smartboard as one of my workstations during my guided reading time. My guided reading table is facing so the kids have their back to the Smartboard. I haven't had any problems with distractions because I keep them pretty busy during guided reading as well. But I will have to say I have a small class size and my largest guided reading group is 4 students.

I use the Smartboard as a word work station. The students practice high frequency words with various game boards I have created. The read the words, write the words, and spell the words. I use words that we are currently working on and words that I know certain students need extra work on. I really like it and the kids love it. It is so much easier to change weekly than hand made games.

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

My setup is very similar to yours! I've also created gameboards with games pieces that the kids use for reading & math. They love it too!

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2010

Share these game files, ladies, share! :)

16. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I have used my Mimio (turns a white board into an active board) during Math but one of my other centers had a game and then a center with practice. So it wasn't quite as bad because there was noise else where in the room. I really like the idea of having them do it on their computers.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 12, 2010

You read my mind. Let me see if I still have it as word doc so that it'll be easy to share. I have it in a mem stick but as an Active Inspire format. I'll check & see.

18. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

Mine is in a Smartboard format. Not sure how to share it. If you can help me I will defenitly share!

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2010

teach1st - I just pm'd you

20. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

p- I just emailed it to you!

If anyone else would like to see it, pm me your email address. However, you will need the smartboard notebook program to open it.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2010

Got it! Thanks!

22. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 12, 2010

I am getting a SmartBoard in my classroom next year! I am very excited and definitely want to use it as a center during guided reading!

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2010

jenglish - smarttech.com will be your second-best friend - second only to atoz, that is, lol!

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

As promised I found the word format for the game board for the smartboard. Here's what it looks like. If you want a copy PM with your e-mail so I can sent it to you.

[​IMG]