SmartBoard - Awkward Position

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Aug 14, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Aug 14, 2015

I wanted a SmartBoard, I told my principal. She got me one. I was beyond excited.

When I went into my classroom, I saw no SmartBoard at the front of the room. Dafaq?

Oh but it's in there. It is mounted on the wall. On. The. Side. Wall. IN. THE. C.O.R.N.E.R. !??!!?!!!!!!

Yes, my SmartBoard is mounted on the wall in the corner. Uh....I am so confused.

I don't want to rant too much; it's just a hurdle I will overcome as a first year teacher.

So now, because most, if not all, of my lessons are based off the SmartBoard at one point in time, I have to try to rearrange my 38 desks to be able to see the SmartBoard IN THE CORNER OF MY CLASSROOM.

I will persevere. :dizzy:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 14, 2015

That's an interesting placement. Do any other teachers in your school have them? Maybe there was an electrical reason to place it there?

4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Aug 14, 2015

My smart board was moved from my old classroom to my new one. I don't think they even turned the projector on because it is not lined up in any way shape or form and is therefore completely unusable.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2015

Someday, you will look back at this and laugh at this "What was my P thinking?" moment.

I would begin by being overly thankful to the P. Then, I would ask in a super nice way to maintenance or P to see if you can get the SMARTBOARD moved in the center. Our maintenance people now are amazing. They would move it if I asked. I know some that would not move it, and I would get in trouble with P if I went straight to them without asking P. You need to kind of assess the politics at your school.

SMARTBOARD in the corner. I am sorry, it is so ridiculous, I have to laugh.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 14, 2015

My smart board last year was in the center of my room, I HATED it there. I wanted it in the corner. This year I'm switching rooms, and my smartboard is in the corner. :)

Mind you the reasoning was space, and my kids sit on the carpet during the mini lesson. I like being tucked in the corner surrounded by my library and teaching. It's more practical in our small rooms.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2015

What grade will you be teaching?

When I taught 2nd, my ActivBoard was in a corner and it was perfect. I did all of my lessons from the carpet anyway.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2015

Can you have the kids sit on the floor/carpet in front of the smartboard?

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2015

In my last school, teachers didn't get much say in where the smartboards were mounted. There were all sorts of reasons they could only go in one place: A/C vents in the way of the projector mount, drywall not strong enough, ceiling lacked supports to mount projector, etc. Who knows why your smartboard is in the corner, but it could be that the corner is the only place where it or the projector could realistically be mounted.

10. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Aug 15, 2015

I teach 6th grade math. So no carpets. All desks.

They are getting a SECOND PROJECTOR to point towards the SmartBoard in the corner.

IMHO, it would cost a lot cheaper to mount the SmartBoard in the middle of the room rather than spend hundreds of dollars to get another projector.

I think you are right though. I will definitely look back and laugh. I don't want to stress too much about it, it'll just make my job even harder than it is.

I do not believe there is any problem with the placement of the SmartBoard, only not to cover up my other whiteboards. But I have an entire wall of whiteboards, I don't mind...

11. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Might be worth bringing up as a "money saving option" to just move the SmartBoard instead of purchasing another projector. Not sure about your dynamic but my admin would not be offended at a money saving idea!

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2015

It also could be that the principal just told the maintenance guys to hang it, and they hung it in the corner without her even knowing. That happened a lot in my last school too. Not being teachers themselves, they didn't usually give much thought to the implication the placement would have on teaching. They just put things where it made the most structural sense. Are you sure your principal is even aware of its current placement?