Smart Table

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 7, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 7, 2009

Anyone have one of these? I went to presentation about them-OMG-fantastic technology. It's like a workstation, but you can program it with activities of your choice. The same technology CNN used for the election last year with their maps- you can make things bigger, smaller with your hands. It would say like 9 + 1 and the kids would have to touch it with 10 fingers. Or they could move the rhyming words together.

I wondered if anyone had one because my only fear is their durability-they say it's pretty much indestructable but as with any computer I'm afraid there will be an issue, then have to deal with repairs. My P is very hesitant to spend money on technology with the little ones for that reason.

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 7, 2009

No, I don't have one, but it sounds very interesting. May I ask how much does it cost?

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 8, 2009

Hmmm, where can I go to find more information? Just Google "Smart Table?"

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 8, 2009

I couldn't find a price for it (which I know means it's probably pretty extravagant). The salesguy giving the demo wouldn't say-I think our district is negotiating a deal with the company, that's what happens with our computers anyway. I have the brochure at work where it showed the demo-I'll post the website tomorrow.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 9, 2009

I watched a demonstration on youtube. Mind you it wasn't a demo for a classroom-but one in general.

At the end the guy said that they aren't really available right now...but proto-types. And said that when they first come out they will be going for $5,000-$10,000. (But you know that when the first computers, DVRs, or cell phones came out they were a right arm as well.)

7. KinderWonder

KinderWonder Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 10, 2009

OMG - I was waaaayyyy off, I wouldn't have estimated that much. I seriously doubt we will be getting any.

Maybe a few years from now like McKenna said, the price will come down.