Smart phone or ipad???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by terptoteacher, Jun 21, 2011.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2011

Which should I choose? My husband forgot my birthday (Again) so he kinda owes me;)
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on ipad vs smart phone.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 21, 2011

I love my Droid X. My sister has an iPad and really likes it. I just like the phone because it goes everywhere with me and has my life on it. Which, I guess, an iPad would also, but with my phone I'm in touch when I need to.

Does an iPad use 3G? That is big for me because we don't have wireless, or Starbucks anywhere close. I like being able to use whatever I need where ever I'm at.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2011

I love my iPhone. I've found that I hardly use my laptop anymore because I just use the Internet on my phone.

5. terptoteacher

Jun 21, 2011

I think I'm leaning towards the casio comando or the droid incredible. The casio is rugged-ized which is a good thing since I tend to drop my phone....a lot.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2011

This is an impossible question to answer. What do you want to do with it?

I have an iPad and an iPhone and use them both for different things. I'd have trouble parting with either device. I use the iPad for much of my computing (I have the iWork suite, can print, etc) and also as an ereader.

Since I have the iPhone, I don't use 3G on the iPad unless I'm traveling and sign up for a month.

I would make a list of things you would like to do and then choose the device that is the best fit.

7. terptoteacher

Jun 22, 2011

Which is probably why I'm having such a hard time!!! I love my ipod touch. I play games on it and use it for music daily. I have a netbook that I use at home for facebook and a to z. I have a regular old cell phone and I had the internet package, but it was such a small screen that I canceled it. If I got the ipad, I would use it for the same games on my ipod and also to replace my net book.
    If I got the smart phone, I would be able to access the internet whenever I wanted and I could check fb or even play words with friends (?) I know I can use it like an ipod but I heard that sucks the battery down pretty fast.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2011

iPhone batteries last pretty well.

I dearly love my iPad. I got the original 64GB 3G and never regretted it, even though I could have bought a new MacBook for not much more. I'm a computer geek though, so I can use it to interface with my whole network, and I have it jail broken for more features like printing to my networked printers. I especially love it for reading and annotating PDF files, IRC chat, and web browsing. The New York Times crossword app is a big time suck for me.

We got my mom one for Christmas and she is addicted to hers now too. She loves Word Twist and Angry Birds.

Facebook doesn't have an iPad app, so you have to use the iPhone app, which isn't fabulous.

9. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 30, 2011

I too have an iphone and ipad 2 and I love them both. I love my ipad more though! It does everything my iphone does but it's larger! lol. I have movies on both and it's so much easier to watch on the ipad. I also love the smart cover for the ipad. I would cry if I didn't have either.

I broke my iphone 4 a few weeks ago (cracked the screen) and I don't know how I made it without my phone.

Facebook doesn't have an app for the ipad but I use the facebook app for the iphone on my ipad. It works fine but is just smaller. You can magnify it though and that makes it much better. I have the friendly app for facebook but don't like it that much.

The ipad 2 battery lasts a pretty long time. They both have great features but I think I love my ipad a tad bit more!