Smart Boards

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

What kinds of things do you use your smart board for in third grade? I just got one and am WAY intimidated by it! I went to a training in July, but then really forgot most of it since I couldn't try it until now.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2009

Download a free trial of the Notebook program to your home computer. If you can get the product key, download it permanently. This helped me practice the program at home. Sure you can't touch your home monitor or write on it with an electronic marker but it will teach you how to select tools, save, use the gallery, etc. It also comes with tutorials but I just played around with it.

4. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

OMG! I got one in my room last year and I use it for EVERYTHING!! I can't imagine teaching without one. My white board is rarely used now. I use my smartboard for notes, united streaming videos, internet sites (interactive), powerpoints, pictures, timers, etc. If you google topics that you are looking for with "smartboard" in your search, you can find lots of things. I surf the web for things that teachers have created (why recreate the wheel??) and mend them for my students. also, if you go to other school sites you can sometimes find their resource page that may have smartboard items to use or website links that you can bring up in your class.

When I go back to school Monday, I will put up a site that has lots of resources for 3rd grade teachers. I don't have it bookmarked on my home laptop.

I love putting my notes up on the board, because I can save whatever we've done in class and print it or save it for if a student was absent. Just print what was done and there ya go! I still explain things to absent student, but it makes it easier to go through it.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 17, 2009

omgosh how I miss the smartboard! I had it during my student teaching experience, and even went through part of the training. There is really so much stuff you can do on the Smartboard and never really need to use your mouse or be at the computer to control it--really! I love using it for cloning (sp?) coins and dollars and other items to help students sort and count. Oh, and the cut and paste of items from the internet (shhh...I didn't tell you this part...LOL) to create layered graphics; we did Dress the Turkey's as a fun activity around the holidays. There's probabaly 1,001 ways or more to use it. I have a mimeo (again sp?) for my 3rd grade classroom and looking forward to using it; although I'll be secretly hoping we "upgrade" to the SB :)

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

We just have showerboards-not even real whiteboards. I really wish I could have a SmartBoard!!

7. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Oh my goodness. This year is my first year teaching and I am incredibly fortunate to have a smartboard in my room. Since school has started I use it every day. I have the students use it for their "snack count" which allows me to take attendance and tell the office who is getting a snack at the same time (you could adapt that to lunch but my students all eat school lunch). I also do a daily grammar or phonics lesson on the smart board because then the kids can interact with it (just make sure its aligned correctly!).

8. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I don't have a Smart Board but a similar interactive whiteboard. I use it for many of the reasons listed by other posters, but my favorite use is just being able to call up a clean board instead of erasing! I also appreciate being able to refer back to something I might have written earlier in the lesson.

Our math intervention teacher puts up story problems on hers and has clip art related to the problem for students to manipulate.

Also, I use Everyday Math and I will often display the math journal page for the day. That makes it easier for me to work through the guided participation part with kids. And saves me from having to make transparencies!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 27, 2009

You can use it just like you use your white board. I would do handwriting on the smart board and allow the students to come up and practice. We used it for games and for power points. We used it to teach new concepts, to show streamlining videos, to create games for tests, etc. It can do anything a regular computer can do and it is a great instructional tool if you want to do a whole class read, you can scan pages from a book and use it that way too. :)

10. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

you can find a ton of things at www.prometheanplanet.com

also if you google activboard activities or smartboard activities you will get a ton of them. I have what's called an "activboard" but it's the same premise.

We use it at least 3 or 4 times a day sometimes more. I have the program installed on my laptop at home so I can create a flipchart at home and then put it on my jump drive or e-mail it to myself. I save whatever we have done that day so that if someone is absent they can go through the flipchart and have the notes for what they missed.

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

I use it all of the time, especially for math!

Each morning I put up our morning work on the board. Sure, it's not interactive but it's something I can do ahead of time rather than racing to get it written on the board.

We use Saxon math and I often put our math activities and copies of the worksheet activities on the SmartBoard for whole class review. Right now we're working on story problems and counting money. It's soooo nice to be able to infinite clone money or pictures and drag them around as needed.

The kids also love coming up to manipulate it.

It cuts down on the amount of time my back is to the kids as when I want to "erase" I can just go to a blank page and I can have things prepared in advance.

One thing that is bothersome though is when I'm out of the classroom. I'm not always sure who the substitute will be or if they know how to turn on a computer (Some of them are 75+). Nothing against them but I usually plan for activities that can be shown on the chalkboard. I also have some poster-sized whiteboards that I'll leave with morning work and other things on them.

12. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

I think interaction is the key. Showing PowerPoints are great, but that doesn't offer much to get the kids involved, so if there are some friendly educational websites you use in your school, or even in your computer lab, it might be fun to play a math game or drill together and get the kids involved. Try funbrain.com which has lots of fun and educational things to do.

Remember smartboards = fun and interactivity.