Smart Boards

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Aug 19, 2015.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 19, 2015

Hi all,
    When I did my student teaching, we didn't have Smart Boards yet in the school. The after-school program I teach at now also doesn't have Smart Boards. I did play around with one once when I was visiting another school, but nothing that would leave me confident in using one. So, I think that one of thing that was held against me during my demo lesson this week was that I didn't use the Smart Board for my lesson. Does anyone know of any tutorials or other ways I can train on the Smart Board without actually having one in front of me? I want to be ready for any future demos.
    Thanks.
    April

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

4. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 19, 2015

Thank you. I did notice there seems to be a lot of information. I'm just hoping that others could point out some really good sites or tutorials I can use. I have so much training in so many other types of technology (laptops, iPads, various software programs...) I just need to feel more confident with using a Smart Board for creating and giving lessons.
    Thanks for the link :) I truly appreciate it.

April

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2015

Try teachertube if you don't like youtube.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 19, 2015

They're pretty easy to use, the software is a bit more advanced than powerpoint, but easy to figure out how to use.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2015

Why do you think this was held against you? I've used them before, and I'm not sure that I would expect anyone to use them in a demo lesson. If you don't have access to the software on your computer (my school provided it on our teacher computers, but I don't have it on my home computer), then you won't be able to make your own smart board presentations. If you can't do that, then the only other thing you can do with it is use it the same way that you would use any projector and screen, only the smart board is touchscreen.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 20, 2015

You can register it on your home computer if you write down the number on the sticker of your SMART Board - last I checked, the number can be used an unlimited number of times, but they will disable the keys that become public knowledge (i.e. posted online). However, as always, check with your admin and/or tech people before doing this.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2015

The company has a lesson exchange site here - http://exchange.smarttech.com/#tab=0 . The site offers an "express" version of their software, so if you don't have the Notebook software you can still open up the lessons.

I used that site frequently when I first started using a SMARTBoard so I could learn how to use different features. I will still use their lessons to set up my own since they will include special images to click on, etc.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

Go to this site:
    http://express.smarttech.com/#

This is an online version of the smart notebook software that comes with the boards. You can use it to create your lessons and then use it during your demos or to show you know how to use it.

The board itself is basically like a big tablet running off your computer. You can operate it just like a regular windows computer.