"SMART" Boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

Why not use the smartboard as the whiteboard? You can have several pages going, and you don't have to erase when it is full. I don't understand why losing whiteboards is the big deal.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 5, 2011

Sometimes there are things that you just want to write up real quick and leave up for a long time, without having to turn on a computer, calibrate the board, etc. For example, I have a spot on my white board where I have up how many AR points are due and when. I'll also sometimes write a note for a certain kid on there, like "Johnny: stop by the office after class" or "Mary, don't forget to grab your paper from the tray." I want those to stay up all hour (possibly multiple hours) no matter what program I'm using on a Smart board.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

Exactly...Plus, my smartboard takes a good minute to turn on and project the image. Sometimes I just want to jot a word down quickly!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

Oh, ok, I can see that.

I had my white boards moved to another wall. I only have 2 open walls, so the boards are on the wall behind the students, and I made a word wall on one and a half, but I do use it to post my junior high agendas, and as you said, quick notes.

I was thinking notes and general classroom stuff. All of that is done on my SB. My student tables are set up to face the SB.

I do also have an easel with a white board surface, leftover from our old reading series. I use it for the 6th grade schedule, and junior high assignments. I have another small white board that I have portioned off with electrical tape that I use for 6th grade assignments.

But I understand, not everyone has these options. I was just confused on why someone wouldn't take notes on the SB. I have my SB on all day, every day, so I don't wait for it to turn on, etc.

5. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

We are discouraged from keeping our SB on all the time because the bulbs are so expensive.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 5, 2011

I lost part of my whiteboards when the SMARTboard was installed. I was there and had imput on where it went. They were orginally going to put it pretty high, but I nipped that in the bud. We have one that is so tall, most teachers can't use the entire board. The front of my room was the only option because of windows, doors, etc. I am thankful that I have about 8 feet of whiteboard left.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2011

I co-teach an algebra class where a SB is used throughout every lesson, every day. After watching this teacher use the SB so effectively, I don't see how anyone could teach math without one! It's practical, fast, interactive, engaging, and has an amazing graphing calculator.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2011

Come see me teach some day.