SMART Boards in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Amers, May 7, 2007.

1. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 7, 2007

Hi!

I will begin my first year of teaching in the Fall, and I have a SMART Board in my classroom. Technology is very important in this school, and I have very minimal experience with SMART Boards. I am very excited to learn how to use it in my teaching though! :) I know there is a lot of info on the internet about ways to use SMART Boards, but I was wondering how some of you use them in your classrooms? (Oh yeah, and I will be teaching 5th graders.)

:thanks:

3. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 7, 2007

Congratulations on your job! You are very fortunate to have a smart board. I have one too and I teach 1st grade. You will love it- there are so many uses but I will just give you a few.
    -You could probably start now and search for interactive games that would target 5th grade skills. I have used a lot of games with my students.
    -If your school has a scanner, you can use it like an overhead projector except your don't have to worry about the bulbs, the noise and heat it generates, the large object blocking students from seeing the screen, wiping off the transparencies, etc.! You can scan any worksheet or transparency and write on the smart board. It's awesome!
    -I often open a Word document and type words to practice, math problems to copy, writing samples to correct, etc. I use the colored highlighting and underlining tools all the time.
    -There are tons of tools that you can use on the smart board notebook. If you can browse some of those before you get started teaching you'll be blown away. You can make your own games and documents using their images and tools. It's hard to explain, you just have to get in there and start using it.

Have fun with your smart board!!

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 8, 2007

Thanks for the ideas. I just found a similar thread in the Gen. Ed. forum. Are SMART Boards that rare? Every room at my new school has one. Like I said, I know there's a lot of info on-line, but it's nice to have a starting point when there's that much info out there! :)

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 8, 2007

Somewhere on the internet is a template for jeopardy in powerpoint.

I taught grade 3 science life cycles and we used a smart board to play jeopardy. The kids would touch the category and the question would pop up. then they would print their answer on the smart board, return the pen, and tap the show answer button. Their answer would stay on the screen as the slide changed and the real answer was shown. We as a class compaired answers and the points were kept on the chalk board.

Your 5's will love it.

And for math, fractions, decimals, percents, Multiplication/Divison can all be done on the smart board.

USE it like you would a chalk baord and you will be getting your money's worth out of it for sure.

What's even more fun is when you Video Conference with another class on a SmartBoard.

Good luck and have a blast teaching technology.

Mr. Skinner :D

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

May 8, 2007

Your school is lucky. In our district we have 10 smart boards to share amongst 25 schools. and the high school have most of them.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 8, 2007

Yes they are rare! I'm in a well-off district and we do not have ANY at all!

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

May 9, 2007

Congrats! I just got my SMART board in my room a month ago. I love it! I use it in almost every subject. The smart tech site has tons of already made lessons that you can use with your class. They're almost all really good. Also, I search online for powerpoint lessons that I use too. They're more interactive with the SMART board. Mine love to just come up and draw on it in their free time. They're also more engaged in anything that we do with it. Mine was the first one and will probably be the only one in our district. The best way to learn how to use it and when to use it is just by playing with it. Have fun with it!

9. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 9, 2007

After finding out how few SMART boards are really out there, I am even more excited to have one in my room! Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I know I will use some of these in my classroom!

10. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 10, 2007

Almost every classroom in my K-7 school has one, but it's because my principal is on the ball and he decided to make technology a priority. After all this is 2007!!! And he wanted our high ELL/poverty population to have the very best.
    Also, find out if you have access to ASSETT for hundreds (thousands?) of awesome videos. They have videos on every subject of varying lengths. Also, you can play DVDs on your smart board, and if you have DVDs that go with your curriculum you can use it for those. I have Math and Science DVDs that go with my Scott Foresman curriculum. They have games, videos, and e-tools. Very cool!
    I would suggest searching for sites now and adding them to your favorites. I have folders and sub-folders for every subject. I had our tech guy copy my folders onto everyone's computer that wanted them. Make sure you share, and others will share with you!
    I think the more you can incorporate it into your lessons, the more involved your students will be and the more you will impress your principal(s). You are going to enjoy your smart board every day!