Smart Boards in Social Studies/History Classrooms?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher_Lady, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Feb 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am working on a communication plan for one of my masters classes and it's about using smart boards in social studies. Can you recommend any resources or websites that offer lessons and activities for middle school social studies? Also, if you use a smart board in your social studies classes, what do you like about it? What are your favorite ways of using it?

Thanks so much!

:love:

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 21, 2011

Scholastic has some awesome sites that you can use with Smart Boards. I did the slavery one last year.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2011

All of our classrooms have SmartBoards. The social studies teachers do all kinds of neat things with them.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 21, 2011

I loved having a SmartBoard! I've only used it while student teaching, so I'm sure some of the more experienced teachers have used it a lot more but I'll share what I've done. I ST 8th grade Am. History

I used it to fill out graphic organizers with the kids. Different slides were different sections of the graphic organizers. Since I had the kids often tell me how they wanted to write something, I could make a file for each class.
    I would also put up pictures/political cartoons/maps up on the board and then have the kids come up and circle/label/etc on them when we were working on primary source analysis. (Those served as excellent bell ringers...)

My favorite--I made a choose your own adventure Lewis-and-Clark interactive expedition adventure. (Think of those choose your own adventure books for kids) Before we started we had already talked about the who what when where and why or the expedition. The adventure had interactive maps, problems encountered on the journey, and a variety of other things where the kids could come up and select/reveal different aspects of the journey. The last slide had a giant tree where I had all the kids come up and sign their initials on it.

I also used it for when I found virtual tours on the internet. I found one of Monticello that we looked at at the very end of class one day. The kids had a blast coming up and navigating through the house. Plus it reinforced some of the things we had talked about.

And any other interactive educational websites I found. I know we used an inflation calculator one time when we were talking about that.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 22, 2011

History Channel has videos that you can show your class on the SMARTboard. They have full episodes of some shows or just clips. Check them out and find ones that are appropriate with what you are doing. Google Earth is also used by our teachers. They can track the Trail of Tears. There are historical images, etc.

7. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Feb 24, 2011

Thank you so much!

Keep the great ideas coming, especially website that you have found especially helpful.

:)