Smart Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BethMI, Aug 1, 2009.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Those of you that have a Smart Board, what have you made for it? I have been doing a lot of work for mine this summer and wanted some more ideas (I am pathetically addicted to it!:blush: please tell me I'm not the only one!!). I have the Notebook software at home, so I just make stuff here.

I have made:
    my colorful clock for teaching the kids to tell time
    brain break dice
    a chip game (based off one I bought my son)
    place value dice game
    a boggle board
    my morning math message
    name that number game from EDM

any other ideas that I can try??:)

3. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

What grade do you teach?

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

second, thanks.

5. grade2rocks

grade2rocks Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Would you be willing to share? I'd love that.

I'm just starting to work now (still have a month before school). I thought my first project would be calendar. I'm happy to share when finished!

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

I do my lunch count on the Smartboard. When I did it on a magnetized board, the students always forgot to move their number to their lunch choice. With the Smartboard, they always remember because they want to use it, and it's really big (compared to the magnetized board).

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Of course! I have tried to e-mail myself stuff I have made at the house to my school acct and it hasn't worked, so if you have any ideas of how to make it work I'd be more than happy to share!

8. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 2, 2009

hey...there's nothing wrong with having notebook at home (I downloaded it onto both my desktop and lap top)

I've done my lunch choice boards
    all our math games for our first unit in math (actually I've done quite a bit with our math on smart board-we use investigations and I just made a presentation of each investigation)

For each book in our reading series I did a presentation-anything that I would have written up on a transparency or the chalkboard I put into notebook.

For science I do power point notes anyway so I just imported them also-I pulled from united streaming some clips (they have all the magic school bus videos on there both full lenght and in clips)

some of our younger grade teachers did word sorts with the vortex template to go with the spelling words

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 2, 2009

Beth,
    I also teach 2nd. The reason you can't email it is that it exceeds the email size for your email system. That is very common. You can put them on a flash drive to transfer them, or sign up for an online storage like skydrive from live . com .

I have made a continents game, a Egypt and China sort, a Then and Now sort, two economics games (human, natural, and capital resources, and wants and needs), a Living and Nonliving sort, and several Habitats sorts. I've also done one for odd and even, and 1st quarter math terms.

I plan to do a bunch more.

Smartboard activities are notoriously "touchy" when it comes to getting them off of web pages. I have some on my webpage, and if you want to try and access them and see if they download properly, just let me know. I'll be glad to share.

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Ahhh, makes sense. :( I will try the live.com thing. I would love to see what you have, I will PM you for your website-thanks in advance!!

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

i use box.net to share my files. it's super easy!

for my smartboard i use interactive games and powerpoints mostly. i use it as a chalk board daily and use the icons that i can drag over (clock, money, place value blocks etc).

go to www.internet4classrooms.com or www.gamequarium.com they have TONS of stuff you can use for your class.

also...research what clickers are for the smartboard. they are little remotes for your students. they can answer the questions on there and they give you immediate feedback. they are VERY cool.

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 2, 2009

the clickers (or Smart Response System) that lcluigs mentioned are quite impressive. I'm piloting a class set for our school this year.

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

lcluigs03 those remotes sound really cool. I will check those sites, thanks. I downloaded the live.com and it worked! I already shared some files, so thanks Rainstorm. :)

14. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I had problems with my smartboard last year. The computer it is hooked up to kept freezing up and kicking us off. I'm supposed to get a new computer this year, but I'm not holding my breath, so I haven't done any planning for it. Shame, really, 'cause you've got some great ideas I could incorporate:(

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

lcluigs03, I LOVE the websites!!! I didn't have those so they are now bookmarked and in my favs. I found Mad Libs on the gamequarium one-how fun. There is a school one that I want to do on the first day of school. Too cool. THANKS!!!

Greengables, if you get it up and working correctly (how stinking frustrating!!), PM me and I'd be happy to send anything I have.

16. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks, Beth, I appreciate that. The kids really loved working with it, but we'd be in the middle of something and phft. I'm out in a modular and when upgrades are done in "the big school" I get the cast offs. ;) My e-mail was always a day behind, somehow, and I'd be caught by surprise by announcements sometimes. It became a running joke at school.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 2, 2009

I'm glad it worked for you. :)

18. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I love box.net! They even have an iPhone app, so you can access your files on your phone.

19. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

glad you liked the websites! i use them ALL the time! we play math games from there...they use their personal whiteboards to figure out the answers then i have them all flip to check their work...then i pick a stick (with student numbers on them) to see who comes to interact with the smartboard. very useful and motivating!

20. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I LOVE using the smartboard for my calendar routine. If you go to Caitlin Wright's website: http://www.thewrightroom.com/page3.htm , she has her calendar templates posted. They're really nice!

21. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

WOW! They're beautiful!!! I love her clipart.