SMART Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jenglish97, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 21, 2010

Well, I found out that I will have a SMART Board next year and am looking forward to using it with my class. I would love to know what websites or lessons you use with your SMART Board. I teach 3rd grade!

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

4. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jun 21, 2010

I love my SMART Board! There are a zillion resources. It's great for showing video clips, my kids use the timer for math minute, you can record handwriting/cursive practice and keep playing it back during practice time. We use it lots to start/finish our lessons with interactive games. My favorite:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/interactive/index.htm (check out 'speed grid' and 'sum sense').

5. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 21, 2010

I love my SMARTboard!!!!! It is awesome! Go to Evan-Moor they have som great things with math and language. I also made my own programs!!! sooooo fun!!

6. Spig

Spig New Member

Jun 22, 2010

Hello~everyone,
    I came from Taiwan,and I teach Society grade 6.
    In taiwan, there are very few smart board in class,
    we often use instructional dvd which presented from the textbook company,
    so I wish to know
    1.Do you ever met such condition?
    2.How the teacher to transfer from dvd to interactive smart board?Is there any change when we teach ?

This is my first post in foreign forum so...
    sorry for my poor english,
    and nice to meet you all !!

Rookie Teacher Spig from Taiwan

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

I am getting one this year too!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited! =) I will need lots of help, as I know pretty much nothing about it.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I love my SmartBoard! I don't think I'll ever teach without one again! You can run ANY powerpoint presentation on it, and there are TONS of "notebook" files online for free! Don't bother paying for any - just take some time to "surf" around this summer, then use the ones you find that you like - they are VERY easy to customize to suit your needs. In many ways, the smartboard is like PowerPoint on steroids, lol.

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

pwhately,

I have been surfing and found quite a bit of resources to use with the SMART Board.

With your SMART Board, does it come with the Notebook program or did you have to download it?

I do not have the Notebook program yet and am waiting to hear from my principal if is comes in a CD form.

I am soooo excited. I have been trying to get one for 2 years.

Thanks,
    jenglish

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

The notebook program does come on CD, but go ahead and download it - you will have 30 days to use it until you have to enter your district's "key" code. Bug your P or call your district Tech department for the code - hopefully they will email it to you, because you will want to copy & paste it in since it has letters & numbers. I put it on every computer in my classroom, so I can have the students doing Smartboard games for skill reinforcement during their center rotations, too! (They don't have the touchscreen, but the games are great!)

11. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

THANKS for your help!!!! I cannot wait to use it as a teaching tool everyday!!! Hooray!!!!!

12. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Great websites! Thanks for sharing :)

13. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

Question:

Does anyone know what the deal is with SMART Response Questions? I can't figure them out...

I'm assuming it's something "extra" because I can't figure out how to click on and answer and show that it's right or wrong.

EDIT: Okay, I see that it's some kind of remote where the kids give their answers independently. Has anyone used this?

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I've used it in training classes, but not in my classrooms. I want them (you would need one for each student) and a slate (like an ipad for the smartboard). I'm considering writing a grant for them!

15. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 28, 2010

I have a SMART Board in my room, too! It was a huge draw in my decision to transfer schools this upcoming year and I can't wait to learn all the different things it is capable of.

16. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

I am going to a SMART Board Introduction training in two weeks. I am looking forward to that. I do know how to use it but there is sooooo much more to learn!

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

Well, my SMART Board just got installed this week. Perfect timing! I wish I had some time to play with it in my room but am looking forward to using it.

Thanks for all your help! Let's see if we can add more websites! Hope everyone have a great start!

18. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

I LOVE the remotes! We have 4 class sets in our school, and no one really uses them, so I get to keep a set in my room, since I use them several times a week. It is a great way to instantly get data on what the students understand/don't understand. For example, we start school on Tuesday, but later this week I am giving them a Senteo quiz on phonics to not only introduce them to using the remotes, but to get an idea of where my class's phonics skills are. My kids also love using them... to them, it's like a video game controller!