Smart Board in Kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kinderkidz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

My school librarian called me in the middle of my math lesson and said she was sending some people to my room to install a smart board. I'm excited about it and wanted to find out if any other k teachers have one and what activities or ideas they have used with it.

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 9, 2008

Sorry, I don't have one, but I am so jealous!

You could have fun using it to teach the kids new websites. PBS Kids has an awesome site with great learning games based on popular shows and characters. Curious George has a fun site and one game is called "411" I think. The kids listen to the "man in the yellow hat" Then a silly video pops up. That would be fun to do with the smart board.

I think we are getting a smartboard at my school (only in the computer lab, but better than not at all). I'm looking forward to seeing what others use theirs for.

4. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Last year, I taught first grade and had a smartboard in my room. I loved it. I am hoping to get one this year. On my school computer I have tons of websites you could use, I will get them tomorrow. The smartboard website also has tons of lessons that you can download.

5. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Last year we were able to go to our computer lab for some smart board lessons. It was wonderful! We did a lot of math and beg. sound activitites. They would have to move a letter to finish a word or match a picture. They also loved using starfall.com with it. I would love one in my room...I'm very jealous!

6. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 10, 2008

This is so strange....

My principal came to me today and asked me if I wanted a Smartboard in my classroom! I hope I get one. I have never mentioned it before. Is this like that book,The Secret, if you wish for it, and put it on paper, it will happen?? hehe

I can't wait to hear how people use theirs.

7. amyd

amyd Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

In my internship we have one and the kids and the teacher love it! This week we set it up so they can use starfall.com and we had it set to our letter of the week. She also had it where the kids could practice writing their letters on it too. They have had a great time with it so far!

8. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I love that!
    Do they use their fingers or the pen to practice writing letters?

Do you know if that comes with the software or is it something she downloaded?

9. amyd

amyd Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Some of them use the pen and others use their fingers, whatever worked for them. The kids loved it! She let 2 go up at a time and do it. I'm not sure how she made the paper template for them to write on.

10. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

11. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 11, 2008

Thank you amyd. I can't wait to try to use it for letter formation.

Thanks for the great sites Rachel. I have been trying to compile a list. I'm so excited!

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

I hope it is ok. I'm going to use your list and put it up on my school site to share with others!!