Smart Board Idea for Open House

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Since we just got our smart boards and I'm not proficient on it by any means, can anyone tell me what might be a good way to highlight it at our Open House night before school starts? I was thinking about a power point that could just be set to keep scrolling through a few things (ha, can that be done?? I'm not proficient with power point, either!!) If that CAN be done, what would you put on it? Just curious if this might work or if I'm way off base.

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Maybe you could make a slide show of your school for the new families? You could take pictures of the school's facilities, highlighting maybe the library, media lab, etc??

Last year I just uploaded a Power Point slide show on the Smart Board and did my presentation that way!

Our Open House is not until TWO WEEKS of classes have gone by (which I do not like!) and I also had a slide show of the children hard at work ~ desk time, center time, recess yard photos, etc! :)

Hope this helps!

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

I have always done a power point on my tv (but this year will do it on my SB). I have a pic of each kid from the first day (which I then put into my end of the year DVD too) and ask them what they are most excited about in 2nd grade. One of my first slides is the question, then I type their answer on the page with their pic.

5. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I really like this idea! That way the students feel like they are part of the classroom (since they are!). A lot of times I have seen teachers just have their procedures and homework policy in their open house presentations and it is definitely not as fun. This way parents and students are engaged! Great tip!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

A scrolling PowerPoint is a good idea, but if you are truly wanting to "highlight" the SMARTBoard, I would have something interactive planned. Show that is is WAY more than a projection screen.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

I'm not sure exactly how your open house works, but ours is truly an "open house." The kids come in with their parents, bring their supplies, and walk around. I usually have a little scavenger hunt (find the bathroom, find your table spot, etc.), and I plan on making the Smartboard one of the stops on my scavenger hunt.

To back it up a step, during the school day my class will have to move an apple with their name on it to either a lunch tray or a paper bag, depending on what they're having for lunch. For open house, I'm going to move those same apples into a simple document. I think I'll start with all apples on a circle and they have to drag them over to the square. This is just for the children to test it out before school starts.

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

My open house is after school starts, that's why I do the power point with kids' quotes...
    Ku alum, good point about showcasing SB and what it can do. For my OH it's simply a presentation, our parents are pretty familiar with the SB and it's too chaotic at our OH to have everyone trying it out. We have a math game day later in the year where I make a game and they can try it with their kid.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 4, 2009

I display my highlight video from the previous year.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 4, 2009

I'm thinking the same thing but what??

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

CutnGlue-THere's a game where you put things in order. You could have the kids and their parents put your morning routine in order-put backpack away, put snack in desk, put folder in tub, sign in for lunch, get a chair... Or your day-morning work, readers' workshop, snack, math message, a.m. recess, PE, etc.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

Blank space for students and parents to sign in, doodle

PowerPoint Jeopardy - questions about classroom, teacher, school

Have parents "check in" by using the SMARTboard to click their name. The click could bring up a message or an image about the new school year.

Might be something here: http://www.bisd.us/delcastillo/smartboard_games.htm

Might be something here:
    http://eduscapes.com/sessions/smartboard/

13. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

If you use responsive classroom one way to do it might be to do "Our Hopes and Dreams" on the smartboard. I take a picture of each student and have them create a slide in powerpoint (we have Macs so for us it is keynote) They record their hopes and dreams for the future and for the year.

14. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

I'm the original poster, and you all have great ideas. Unfortunately, my open house is like someone else mentioned...it happens before school starts and it is basically the parents and kids coming in, dropping off school supplies, and just visiting in general. I have no new students, and we are a small community so everyone pretty well knows everyone else. I am feeling hugely overwhelmed by my smartboard. I went to 2 days of training over a month ago but haven't been on it since. I was hoping to really play around with it, but no such luck yet. And like I mentioned, I really don't know what I'm doing with it! EEK!

15. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Aug 6, 2009

I always do a power point of what i want to discuss with parents. But they also love seeing a slideshow set to music on moviemaker with their kids pictures.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2009

Download the notebook program to your home computer. If you can get the product code then do so. If not, download the free 30 day trial period so you can at least play with it. It won't let you play with the touch feature but you will still be able to use "markers" and all the other aspects of the program.