smart board grants

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by highland, Dec 9, 2008.

1. highland

highland Rookie

Dec 9, 2008

Hello,
    I am new to the site and I really like all the great advice people have. I am in my third year of teaching and in a book adoption year. Every time I go to a meeting and preview a book, I realize that many of the materials I wouldn't be able to use because of a lack of technology. Our building was built in the 70s and has been barely updated since. We still have the original furniture! A new building was constructed in our corporation last year and has all new furniture/equipment. Many students in our building are discouraged because they feel our building/they don't matter. A few of my coworkers and I are interested in getting Smart Boards for our classrooms. We thought this would be a great way to get students more involved in learning. If anyone has written a grant for these or knows where I can get information about grants for these, please let me know.

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

One way we have paid for our SmartBoards and mobile carts is by asking local businesses, organizations, to sponsor a piece of the equipment. We then placed a small label on the equipment with "brought to students by" and the name. It took some time, but we have been able to purchase several pieces of equipment this way.

4. SSTeach27

SSTeach27 New Member

Jan 12, 2009

I feel your pain. My students are dying to get a smartboard. It's hard enough my department to buy when the economy is good, now it's near impossible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some money will pop up somewhere, but it's not looking too positive this year.

5. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

An alternative to the Smart Board

I work in a charter school building with little technology and a very limited budget (don't we all?!). We saved our class funds and were fortunate enough to purchase a cheaper version of the Smart Board.

I've only been using it for the past week but I HIGHLY recommend it! My fellow teachers are raving about it too! It is called Mimio Interactive and basically it is a portable Smart Board. It has virtually all of the same functions and can be mounted (and then unmounted) in any classroom!

If you are interested the website is mimio . com.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

We got our SmartBoards through a partnership with a nearby university as part of the Gear-Up program. We were able to get 17 Smart Classrooms and two computer labs.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I second Mimio ... way cheaper, does everything the Smartboard does. Can keep all of your whiteboard space (it creates a field that makes your whiteboard interactive).

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 12, 2009

I third it, I ditched my smartboard for it.

9. TI Teachers

TI Teachers New Member

Feb 19, 2009

One of our blog reader's recently mentioned that companies like Best Buy offer grant opportunities for teachers looking to obtain technology. He posted a comment about these types of grants in response to an entry, contributed by a High School Math teacher from Kentucky, about facing budgetary issues in the classroom. Both the entry and his comment contains some practical tips you might find helpful, you can find it by searching TI Teachers Lounge on Google. Good luck!