Small Schools

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by whollyconsumed, Jul 29, 2013.

1. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Does anyone work in really small schools? By this I mean schools that have less than 100 students?

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I did at my previous position. We had less than 75 students... K-8.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

My former school was a K-12 school, with less than 200 students total. Of course, the town only has a population of 500...

5. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I interviewed for a small school today. I have spent the last five years teaching at a PK-5 school with almost 500 students.

6. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

We have 26 students in our school. I am the 5th/6th grade teacher and I have 7 of them. I also teach two middle school classes and there are 6 of them.

It's great--I feel incredibly lucky. With these small numbers, you actually get to TEACH and you spend way less time on behavior issues and other routines/procedures. We have the time to do a lot of fun enrichment activities that I know I wouldn't have time to do with more students.

Down side is small school=small staff. They have me stretched pretty thin (5th/6th all subjects and then English and Band for middle school). This basically eliminates prep time, which is frustrating. A lot of the administration is under the impression that we don't need prep time because there aren't as many students. That makes no sense! The only way that having less students saves time is that there is less grading to do. But you still need to lesson plan and you even need to plan MORE than you maybe would otherwise because in small groups students will move through things much quicker.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2013

Wow! I felt like my school was small as we only have 2 classes per grade level. Are these private schools that are so small?

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 30, 2013

My school wasn't private. We just live in the middle of nowhere :lol:

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2013

kcjo, I went to a school that fits your exact description... middle of nowhere, k-12, less than 200... I moved there in grade six from Toronto... needless to say, there was a bit of culture shock. I was glad to move for my graduating year!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 30, 2013

I loved it, mostly because it was all I've ever known. My grandparents went there, my parents, me, and now my kids. It's the kind of school with graduation pictures hanging on the wall from the first graduating class back in 1912. You can follow families through by thumbing through every 20 years or so.

11. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 30, 2013

The school I interviewed at was definitely in the middle of nowhere. I am thinking that might be what I need though, because I came from being in the middle of an urban environment. I am trying to be realistic about what will be expected of me. The position would be a temp position for 3rd and 4th grade social studies. I have to admit I have not taught more than one grade level at once. How do you keep all of that straight!

12. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

Centers!!!

13. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Whollyconsumed, would you be expected to teach the 3rd graders a lesson and then a separate lesson to the 4th graders?

We loop at my school, so this year I will be teaching 6th grade material for reading, social studies, and science to all of my students, 5th graders included. Next year I will teach 5th grade material to all of my students.

The only subject I need to do separate by grade level is math, and using centers is a great way to keep students occupied when you cannot work with them because you are working with a different group.