Small question regarding expectations...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by GTB4GT, Feb 8, 2014.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 8, 2014

I went to the office to get 16 AAA batteries for my graphing calculators. The P keeps them in the office. It was the 2nd time I have done this. The P snaps at me, telling me that this what our $200 annual allowance is for. I didn't use all mine but didn't think to get batteries (we only get this allowance once per year).

Just curious, IS it expected that the teacher provide batteries and other misc. items or does/should the school? I am somewhat of a late newcomer to the field and the "rules" have never fully been made clear on this (and several other things as well). I was surprised at the curt, abrupt response - the batteries were for the students, not for my own personal use. as always, thanks for any replies.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2014

Why does the P keep batteries if not for classroom use?

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

No, the batteries that the school buys are for our use. No one ever questions the number of batteries I take from the office. Ask other teachers in your building what they do.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 8, 2014

:| Pile all the dead calculators on your principal's desk and say, "Here ya go. They're all useless now."

Seriously, they're school equipment, the school has to tough it out and actually buy things to maintain the stuff they cried to the state or taxpayers to purchase for them in the first place.

We had a superintendent brag to the newspapers and community that he was going to have a mini-library in each and every classroom to promote reading. He went ballistic went most classrooms didn't have one because he expected US to buy the books.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2014

Honestly, $200 on batteries won't go very far when you have several calculators or gadgets to power. So I think it's ridiculous he expects you to supply batteries with that budget which is also supposed to pay for various other needs in your classroom. And I have the same question as cza—why would he even have a stock of batteries if not to give to teachers to use?

That said, I've never worked at a school that supplied batteries. It came from our classroom budget, but our budget was healthier than yours.

7. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 8, 2014

They provide the batteries, paper, white board markers, calculators, and textbooks. Our budget is for any other classroom supplies like writing utensils, staplers, hole punchers, post-its, manipulatives etc. etc. etc.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2014

That made me laugh! Ridiculous.

9. Math

Math Cohort

Feb 8, 2014

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 9, 2014

When I taught middle school science many years ago I was expected to buy the supplies with $200.00 for five classes. I was responsible for double a and 9volt batteries, marshmallows, seeds, 60 watt light bulbs, wires, styrofoam containers for growing the seeds, butterfly caterpillars, and many other things. This is one of the reasons I changed grades. I felt it was unfair to expect me to pay for all of this when the $200.00 was gone. Nobody else in the building was required to pay for this many supplies.
    One thing that helped was I added the batteries to the supply list. About half of the parent sent in batteries which was a big help. Also, a wholesale club opened up near us. Thanks to my husband's business membership I was able to save a little by shopping there.

11. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 9, 2014

he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would laugh at that. although I had the same thought as you did. I hope we can get to the end of the year without needing batteries. I will not be asking him again. Nor will I buy them myself. Which is kind of how he operates....he seems to be confrontational so people will not approach him. that way he doesn't have to be aware of or get involved in any problems. I have worked with guys like this before. This is a new P this year. I am missing the last one greatly.

12. Math

Math Cohort

Feb 9, 2014

What does your Department Chair do? What do the other math teachers do?

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 9, 2014

While it is a little ridiculous, for me at least, it is the reality of my situation. I'm expected to purchase everything with not $200 dollars, but $100 of supplies for the entire year. I teach science, and so my materials costs, including just having paper, organizational tools, etc. can reach in excess of $1000 a year.

Every now and then we get a break where the PTSA refunds $100 of receipts, or we get $100 from OfficeDepot, but otherwise, it doesn't cover much. We also collect donations at the beginning of the year.

Despite that, I've gotten a full class set of laptops, full class set of brand new goggles, a goggle sanitation kit, new digital cameras, web cams, microphones, a high capacity hole punch (over $500), and other things just by doing DonorsChoose programs.

The rest I have to get for myself. The good thing is, my science classroom hadn't been cleaned out since the 60's, so I have a ton of glassware and chemicals left over from god knows when. I just had to dig through it all and organize it so I know what I have and where to find it. I will never ever ever ever run out of straws (for some reason I have like 20 boxes of them).

I'm out of money already this year because last year I decided not to spend all of my money so I could use some of it this year. Admin took that as a sign that they could simply requisition our science money and spend it on something else, so I learned my lesson to spend all of your money each year.

14. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 9, 2014

I admire and respect you (and others like you). I limit myself to the materials and budgets that I have been given. Just a personal decision and maybe influenced by my background outside of education. No other job that I have ever had would expect this of me (or any employee). I was astonished to be quarrelling with a supervisor over $4 worth of batteries (especially, as others have noted, without them I had 4 calculators worth $200 apiece rendered useless). Teachers succeed despite the system.

with these calculators, I was able to move into 3 X 3 matrices and system of equations with 3 variables. Because solving them was easy with the calculators, they enjoyed setting up the systems from a word problem (which I actually consider to be the more important skill anyways.) Without them I would have skipped 3 X 3 systems and still been ok by my standards.