Small lies you tell your students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, May 18, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 18, 2011

Do you tell any small lies to your students?

Today one of my students told me that they know we have cameras in our room that the P could listen in and watch us on.

I did not deny it but I also did not tell them the truth. :wub:
    I can definitely tell the kids are READY for school to be out.

A few weeks ago one of my students told me that her mom and dad told her that if students get more than 5 tardies they can not go to the next grade. I guess this is what gets her out of bed each morning!:lol:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

I don't tell the students lies, but I do let them believe things that aren't necessarily true unless I am directly asked about it.

I tend to tell them the truth and then I stick to it.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 18, 2011

I told mine the tadpoles that died on Friday were released into the wild.

But only because they asked. Had they seen the little boogers croak (no pun intended) I would have fessed.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 18, 2011

I'm like Mopar. I had an 8th grade student tell me his mom told him there was a camera in the classrooms. He didn't ask me directly and I let him go on believing it. I'm not a good liar anyway! I forget!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 18, 2011

Sometimes I'll tell my high school kids I don't know a policy when I really do because I don't feel like arguing with them. I'll say, "I don't know. Ask Ms. Principal..."

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

May 18, 2011

There's a teacher down the hall who when asked how many kids she has will add to the number as the year goes on. First time she asks the answer is two (the truth), and next time she has four kids. If they ask about it she'll tell them that the others are in India. The next time she has six kids. She's gotten up to 12 kids before.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 18, 2011

Last years kids were convinced that I could hear them in the bathroom through the air vents.

They were very quiet in the bathroom - no messing around!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2011

I let the kids think that the hermit crabs were still hiding for two weeks until I left. They assumed I took them with me. They were deceased. I have had to break the news before but this time I was leaving and there was some uncertainty already. I didn't want to add to it.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

I have a rock in my room. It's a big piece of asphalt with glitter all over it. When I was student teaching the kids had to write creation stories after reading some by Native American tribes. They had to create an artifact that went with it. So they found this giant piece of asphalt and covered it with glitter, and that was the meteor that their tribe came from.

It's obviously a bunch of tar and rocks and glitter, but I when kids asked me what it is I tell them totally deadpan that it's a meteor. If they ask why I put glitter on it, I tell them it is space dust. My improv classes must have paid off, because if they keep asking questions I can get pretty elaborate with the story without cracking a smile. I think because I remain totally serious they aren't quite sure whether to believe me. Some of them are totally convinced it's a meteor and that all glitter comes from space.

And for the record, I teach 9th and 12th graders.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 19, 2011

My 10th grade Chemistry teacher used to have these outlandish stories about him and the Pickle family. They were so believable yet so outlandish and cool. As the year went on, he sucked us in good. On the last day, he started like he always does, "Have I ever told you about the Pickle family?" We all groan, "YES" and he told us he made it all up. We weren't sure to believe THAT. I realized later that many of these stories had some tinge of chemistry related to them but we were just listening on pins and needles to what the crazy family would do next.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 19, 2011

My kids think my principal can push a button in her office and listen it to what we;re doing in the classroom. I never told them this, they came in thinking this was the case for some reason, and I've never told them otherwise :)

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 19, 2011

The art teacher in our school has elaborate back stories for every pencil she lends to students. When they ask to borrow one, she'll say, "Ok, but be careful. I've had this since the third grade. My favorite teacher, Mr. X, gave it to me right before he retired..." or something like that. The kids (high school) fall for it every time. She gets every pencil back... LOL

14. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 19, 2011

In some of the schools I have worked in, the office actually CAN push a button and listen in through the intercom system. I know a lot of schools have phones in the classrooms now instead of the actual speaker so maybe it doesn't work the same way, but my school last year had the speakers still and could do this. I don't think they actually sat around all day and listened in, though.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 19, 2011

Ok... I will fess up. When I taught Kindergarten, I MAY have told my lil' darlings that I had a direct line to Santa's Workshop and that he is very interested in everyone staying on the "nice" list... (I could only use that line when I had a class of believers though... I would never step on another person's beliefs.)

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 19, 2011

Oh, I "saw" the occasional elf and "heard" a reindeer or two one year, but only when we went all the way up until the day before Christmas Eve. Those kids were bananas!

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

Wow, teaching until Christmas Eve! That's crazy!

My students ask me all kinds of silly rules that I've never heard of. It's kind of crazy what they think up!

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 19, 2011

we have cameras on the exit doors, and they are real cameras, but I have told the kids that they can see all through the hall so we can see if they are running to take the lunch money down to the cafeteria. I never started that lie, but it has always been around, I just never denied it. I think when they ask me I go with yeah, I heard that too!!

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

I make up stories all of the time to tell to my students. Sometimes for my own entertainment and sometimes for their benefit.
    When it comes to policies, rules, schedules, those types of things, I play dumb quite often when students ask.

20. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 19, 2011

This isn't my students, but my 5yr old hates wearing button shirts or button pants. My husband and I have been telling him all year that he can't go to 1st grade unless he wears a button shirt and button pants at least once a week. He believes us! He'll finally wear some of those nice polos his grandmother buys him and the jeans we buy him.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 19, 2011

I sometimes forget to get rid of my chewing gum first thing in the morning. Soooooo, when the kids bring it to my attention I tell them it's for medicinal purposes... :)

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

My dentist actually DID tell me I need to chew gum. lol

My students who work in the office told me the admin and secretaries do this sometimes! :eek: So I wonder if THEY are pulling MY leg, or if it's true??

23. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 19, 2011

I tell my kids I am 18.

When they ask how much an assignment is worth, I always say a million points.

24. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 19, 2011

I have three storage rooms in the back of my classroom. Two of them have windows, while the other one doesn't. The room that doesn't have a window has a crawl hole to get under the school. I have my daughter, and many of my 7th and 8th graders convinced that I have alligators in the room without windows. There are all kinds of stories floating around as to what I feed the alligators - even the janitors are in on it. Most know that I don't, but some aren't sure. >:)

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 19, 2011

My kids honestly have no idea that the work they do for me is not technically for a "grade." They don't ask (they just assume) and I don't tell them otherwise. I do give them a progress report based on their progress on IEP goals, but that data comes from weekly progress monitoring like one minute fluency tests, or m-comp tests, or whatever. So any time they do something for reading group like write a summary or anything like that I don't think they realize they're not getting an actual grade for it. I put a star/step on it for them and put it back in their mailboxes.

26. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 19, 2011

My students always ask if they have homework (I teach math - they have homework every night. Yet, they still ask.) When I tell them of course, their next question is always, "How much?" I usually tell them some crazy amount, like 120 problems.

27. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 19, 2011

I lie about my age as well.

28. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 19, 2011

It's interesting that even when I have the homework posted on the board and I've taken the time to tell them what the homework is, I still get students who ask me all the time what's for homework? My response is: finish the entire textbook by tomorrow.

29. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 19, 2011

:lol: I think I like your response better!

30. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 21, 2011

I "grade" everything---for the record books or for participation (also for the report card :)) and keeping the little darlings from going AWOL on me.

I have been known to stretch the truth or "test" the kids to see if they're listening or paying attention to directions. I call it "stretching the brain".

I'm also good for saying "I don't remember" or "I dont know, you should ask someone else" after I've given instructions, modeled the instructions, and asked for students to repeat back what they need to do. I ALWAYS have 2 or 3 darlings who say, "What are we doing?". It forces them to actually think.

31. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 21, 2011

That is sooo funny- telling them I do not remember about what the directions are or I do not know, you should ask someone else- that would throw my kids for a loop. Just imagining it- I can just picture them looking all bewildered!

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

I think the only lie I tell them is "I don't remember" when they ask a mathy question during a test.

I honestly can't think of another.

I do use hyperbole a lot, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

33. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 21, 2011

This is one of my favorites, when they are working on some math problems and they ask me about a multiplication answer I always give them a random weird number. Like what's 3 x 7? I tell them, 2. They actually pause and think for a minute.

34. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

May 21, 2011

That is so hilarious!!:lol:

I tell my kids I'm old enough to tell them what to do and have them listen.

I have got to try the a million points bit though. Too funny!!

35. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

May 21, 2011

:lol: That's GREAT... I wish the bathrooms weren't so far away from my room!!

36. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 21, 2011

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:I love it!!!!!

37. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 21, 2011

I have a bathroom in my classroom so I could use this. There is always toilet paper everywhere in the bathroom.

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 21, 2011

I do both of these, too. I say 21, and since I am at a new school, they believe me because they think I am right out of college instead of teaching for almost 10 years.

I say an assignment is a billion-y points or when they ask how many questions/how many pages something has to be, I give them some absurd number and when they freak out, I say "Oh, ok, how about just 5." Then they are happy. But if I started by saying 5 they would complain about that. lol.

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2011

My hubby was visiting one day before Christmas, he told the kids that he saw Rudolph outside the window. They all ran to the window to look. But he was gone by then (BTW, we sometimes did see deer out the window). That was when I was teaching K.

I had my 3rd graders convinced that I lived at the school! I told them that I slept on the table and had blankets in the closet!

When they ask me how old I am, I just tell them that I'm older then dirt.