Small/Large Group Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chels1085, Jun 5, 2014.

1. chels1085

chels1085 New Member

Jun 5, 2014

Next year will be my 2nd year teaching preschool, and I struggled this year coming up with new and educational games/activities for my small group and large group times. We do use HighScope, but my district is looking for a academic push as well. Any ideas other than basic worksheets?

Also--is there a good pacing guide somewhere for 4 year old preschool curriculum to follow for the year??

3. TchrMelissa

TchrMelissa Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

For large group, our school uses the Rowland Reading Curriculum to supplement. I have mixed feelings about it because it is table work and there are worksheets. Each day is different, though. Some days it's a game and other days it's a worksheet or using a visual board that comes with the kit. At the end of the day, it is a great curriculum that covers colors, alphabet, positional words, descriptive words, and everything else that helps to enhance early literacy.

I also do learning centers that would probably be your small group time. The group is paired with a buddy and they rotate to different stations through out the hour. I set out various theme focused centers and then some favorites like, writing on the white board, play doh, manipulatives (connectors or small legos, etc.) - just to name a few. And then once a week we have computer and once a week is iPad games.

I do play some fun games with the kids that encourage team work and also help with their thinking skills/imaginative skills, etc. We play "Who's Missing?" (someone leaves the group and then another child has to guess who left), "doggy doggy where is your bone" (you can google that one) and a recent favorite is charades. They act out animals or a character based on our weekly theme. This week they acted out different types of dinosaurs. It was hilarious but I also know they are retaining information and learning in a fun way.

Not sure if that helps you at all! Good luck! :)

4. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

Children benefit from a variety of regular group experiences in HighScope Preschool programs. These planned parts of the day include small-group time, large-group time, and transition times.

5. leecook

leecook New Member

May 4, 2015

For kids, we need to conduct various academic activities through which they can learn various new things. Moreover, the most important things are that the activities should be interesting for children. In preschool, the best program is a toddler program in which there social as well as language is developed.

6. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 4, 2015

what about the old time file folder games - perfect for 2 during small group time.

7. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 4, 2015

put an item in a brown paperbag & have them guess what the item is by feeling it, or by you giving clues, or have classmate give clues of item to other classmate to guess.

8. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 4, 2015

show and tell can be used too - the kids can be assigned a letter - they need to bring an item that begins with that letter. Or it could be traditional show & tell & have the classmates guess what the item is by asking very specific questions (think 20 question game style)

9. Sarabeth1031

Sarabeth1031 New Member

Jun 4, 2015

This was my second year in preschool this year. Pinterest has been my best friend! There are TONS of activity ideas. I like to use a healthy combination of hands-on and paper/pencil activities. We all know that in preschool, hands-on learning is incredibly important, but we also have to be realistic about what they are going to be asked to do in kindergarten. Just make sure whatever activities you choose hold their interest. Have you though about using journals for one of your small groups? I implemented those this year and my kiddos LOVED them!