small groups - help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luv2teach415, Oct 1, 2014.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 1, 2014

I'm trying to do small groups in my class. I want to be able to take a group and do a mini lesson for them. While I'm doing a mini lesson for that group, the other groups would be working in different centers or on different assignments. But what do you do when those other 2 groups finish an assignment/center while you're still doing the mini lesson? If you give the groups an assignment to do, the students are going to come to you with their finished work (while you're doing the mini lesson). How do you handle this? Any advice on handling small groups in a classroom?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 1, 2014

If the center is a game, they play again. If they finish independent work, they can read a book or whatever else you normally have early finishers do. After a while, you will be able to gauge how long your mini lessons run and how much work the rest of the class can get done in that time.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 1, 2014

What grade is this? Most of my centers do not involve written work, but more hands-on practice. If there is something written they have a folder where those papers can go. You just have to train them not to bother you with a group unless it's some sort of emergency. Debbie Diller suggests wearing a tiara (I had a cowboy hat at one time) as a signal so the kids know not to bother you with little questions.

5. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 1, 2014

This is for third grade

6. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Oct 1, 2014

I teach 3rd grade and have 3 rotations. One group is with me, one group is doing independent work and one group is doing the Daily 5. We rotate every 20 minutes. Using the Daily 5 is great because it gives the kids something to do for at least 15 minutes and doesn't require too much planning on your part. It may be something that would help you.
    When my kids are on independent work they read a book when they finish. In the past I've also had other long term projects that they could work on when they finish, or some sort of enrichment activity.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2014

Daily 5
    Even if you don't plan to use it, it will give you an idea of how to teach the class to be independent learners while you teach small groups.