small group reading/intervention

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by luv2teach1st, Sep 8, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I have 7 students that are very low in reading. Two of them don't know their kindergarten sight words. Can anyone give me any suggestions for what to do to help them?? I see them in small group for 30 min. every day.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2009

I read When Readers Struggle or something like that by Fountas/Pinnell - had some good interventions/tips/prompts/etc

I left the book at school with my notes. Perhaps I will have more advice tomorrow?

I do know that they need to be doing guided reading with you everyday with a new book. And they need to be responding to the text. Writing and reading have a connection so just a quick sentence will help.

I will try to bring that book home to give some advice.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

-Check into "Super Speed 100" (Power Teaching/Whole Brain Teaching). I love it for practicing sight words. I use it with all of my students, but I think it would work really well for small group intervention. I would pair myself up with the student lowest in sight words.

-Check into the CAFE menu (Daily 5/CAFE). Even if not using the program, the strategies off the CAFE menu are priceless for struggling readers. It's a lot of the stuff good readers to without knowing they're doing it. It will give you the chance to teach them specifically to your students.

-Consider having students reading different books- then they can all read aloud at the same time (while you listen to specific students) without just following others.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2009

There's also some intervention at www.hellofirstgrade.com

You have to click "All Things Literacy" and then scroll down and find reading interventions or something like that. I printed it out once and put it all in a binder.
    I used it one year for my tutor kids. I'm not sure how well it works but maybe it's worth looking at?

6. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

Try fcrr.org
    They have a ton of activities. I use these for intervention, small group, and stations.
    It takes a bit of hunting if you don't know where to look. Here is the url for the section with word work.

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/pdf/GK-1/F_Final.pdf

7. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Thank you so much for the resources and websites. They are very helpful.

8. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I found a great website last week called spellingcity. If you type in the sight words there is a "teach me" button and it says the word and spells it and says a sentence for it. I'm using it with sight words for my lowest student. He loves to sit at the computer with the headphones on and do this. It only takes a few minutes and it's extra tutoring that I don't have to do.