small group math

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by heatherhawaii, Aug 24, 2008.

1. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I was wondering if anyone taught math in small groups rather than whole class. I was thinking this year I would have 3 or 4 small groups. One group would work with me , one group would be working on practice building skills, one group might do some type of math game, then we would rotate. Does anyone do anything like this? If so what do you think about it. Thanks so much!!!

3. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I have not tried it, but we are trying an inclusion model in a different fourth grade classroom at my school this year, and it is my understanding that this is how the class will function. I think it is a great idea, but may be a little difficult to manage and keep on track. I am interested to hear how it goes!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2008

I am going to have centers (and teacher center) in addition to whole group instruction. I teach advanced fourth and feel some challenging options for my students will be beneficial.

5. LKcoby11

LKcoby11 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I teach math using small groups. I do have the luxury of having a special ed. teacher in my classroom during math, so that makes it much easier. Each of us has 2 groups. The groups are determined based on a pre-test that the class takes prior to the new unit. Quite often the groups change as units change. My co-teacher and I switch groups also so that no group is always with the same teacher.

While we are each meeting with our first group, the other two groups are working on independent work (could be math boxes, problem-solving activity, extension activity from previous lesson, etc.) and then they play a math game (I have made tons of math games) with a partner. I explicitly teach the class howto play the game before they are asked to do it on their own. Midway through our math session, we switch groups.

6. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I will have the students working below grade level and resource students, so I will have an aide. I will have three groups which will rotate: group 1 - with me - direct instruction and practice; group 2 - with the aide - timed facts test & math facts practice; group 3 - math centers (extension, computer, games, etc.).

7. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I build in small group math flexible groups in my math block, just like you would in reading.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2008

I think it'll be neat for the advanced, so I guess benefits reap for any group that tries small groups in math. However, I have those closer to average in math, also, so I need to make sure they are caught up with the concepts I am going through pretty fast.

It's all so different than Extra Assistance Math, though. I love having average math students and above because I can do more weekly themes with them (like camping) and try harder brain teasers with them.

9. heatherhawaii

heatherhawaii Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Mrs.Jasztal, where do you get your weekly theme ideas from?