small group math/centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Oct 22, 2013.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2013

Does anyone do math centers like they would during guided reading? I would love to try, but don't feel I have the time (a little under an hr) to do mini lesson, break into groups and see everyone. I also don't want to start reinventing the wheel with math groups and math group plans in addition to my regular math plans. I do have a ton of math centers that I use for early finishers and rotate out depending on the topic.

Any suggestions for anyone that does centers/math groups?

THANKS!

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Oct 22, 2013

I do a simple rotation for math. I have my class divided into 3 groups. I teach a 10-15 minute mini-lesson whole-group then go into 3 ten to fifteen minute rotations to meet with each group. While I'm meeting with a group, the other groups are working on multiplication fact fluency (on computers) and independent practice for the current lesson. The group I meet with first I either work on the current lesson skill or remediate a previous lesson. It works well and I have NO prep so it's easy for me.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2013

A few days a week, I teach a small group and the others work on math facts, math game, and IXL math. It's a 15 minute rotation and I have a volunteer at the game.