Small group/Center time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by HeatherTeacher, May 15, 2013.

1. HeatherTeacher

HeatherTeacher Rookie

May 15, 2013

I am a new prekindergarten teacher and I would like to include small group time into my day, but I only have from 8:45- 1:00 for circle time, centers, story, bathroom break, outside time and lunch. Has anyone included small group time into their center time? Also, how do you organize center time? Do you group your children and have them go to centers that need to be completed or do you allow your students to pick their own centers.

Thank you in advance,

Heather

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

May 15, 2013

Centers

I teach a preschool program with AM and PM sessions. I do small groups during center time. I don't necessarily like it that way, but have to due to time. For centers, All students have name tags that they take to each center. Every center has a name tag holder that says how many students are allowed in the center. The students regulate themselves and are required to clean up before leaving to
    go to another center. The only rules in place are that you only play at computers, sand, and in dramatic play 1 time. We also use egg timers for our most popular centers and give students 15-20 minutes on the timer.

For small groups, I plan 1 small group lesson for each day and differentiate it to meet my different learners. I call 3-4 students over at a time to the table and we do a 5-10 minute activity. If a student doesn't want to participate, they don't have to, but I keep assessments for every small group lesson and try to make sure to target whatever skill we are working on in the center that child is working in. I try to do a math, literacy, science, art, and cooking lesson per week.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 17, 2013

Heather. I find the daily schedule to be a very personal thing for most teachers. You may copy another teacher's but it might not work for you.

There are many reasons to adjust a schedule. For instance, I like to have choice time before lunch so that I can set lunch up. Might not work for you.

Actually, I think 8:45 to 1 is plenty of time for a session. I have always allowed children to choose their own centers for choice time. If Johnny had a fight with his brother this morning, he may need more time to pound on the playdough.

I you are using centers for academics, I would guide about 3 groups from one area to the next.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2013

Yes! I do small groups and centers together! I divide my crew into groups of 4 (I usually have 16 kids m-th and a different mixed crew on Fri.) I also have a co teacher. Our small group/center time is about 30 minutes so we each have one group and the other two are in "independant" centers. Then we rotate the independant with a teacher group. The next day ~ it is rotated. This way in two days all four groups have touched all four centers (2 independant and 2 teacher).

6. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I think for my small groups, dividing children into age groups is desired but sometimes tricky.