Small Group / Center Rotation Charts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 9, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2009

Last year (my first) I used the standard 4x4 small group chart, where each group moved simultaneously (homogeneously) to set centers, one of which was the teacher table and one was the computer station. This year, we have been (strongly) encouraged to continue having homogeneous (ability level) groups at our teacher tables, but heterogeneous (mixed) groups of 2-3 at the other centers. I'm excited about the potential this offers, but I'm having real problems figuring out how to do this, much less show it on a chart for my kiddos. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2009

Could you have the kids choose their next workstation themselves and move their name to that choice? Just have all the choices available (you would still have to do your small group names), then whatever is left they can choose themselves-that way the groups would always be a mix.

I struggle with that myself each year, because each group is different and I find what used to work doesn't work with this particular class. I'll be looking forward to seeing others' responses.

4. luv2teachK

luv2teachK Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I love the ideas on www.kellyskindergarten.com. I'm going to try her ideas for center rotation this year! She also has a page with wonderful center activities for each month/theme. Check it out!

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I'm planning on allowing my students to choose when they go to which center. Last year I told my students exactly where to go and it worked out great, but after reading the Daily 5 I am going to try giving them more choices this year. I have made a check off list for my students. Maybe for 1st grade you could have some type of picture check off list.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2009

With first graders, my feeling is that they need to be told where to go, at least for the first part of the year.