Small Group Activity Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Maithal, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Hi Everybody!
    My public school prek that I work in as a prek spec ed teacher uses a High Scope curriculum which believes in doing more small group activities.

I am having difficulties coming up with some activities for small groups geared around math and literacy (or any other ideas). What do you all recommend?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or websites with some great small group activities.

Thanks!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

To think of math ideas, you can list what math is, and that should lead you to some great ideas.

For example:
    matching
    one to one correspondence
    grouping
    numbers
    counting
    position
    etc.

matching=match the number 5 to 5 dots; match the red mitten to the red mitton

One to One=putting one egg in each egg carton hole; giving each child a cup for snack

Grouping=putting all the boats together; putting all the houses in one group; putting all the girls in one line

Numbers=counting; fingerplays; stories

Position=fingerplays; stories

I used playing cards and dominoes to help the children visulize the numbers. If you note, the patterns of dots on playing cards and dominoes are consisitent. Using these same patterns can help a child internalize the concept of the number. So, I would use a lot of both. Just sorting the playing cards into groups of red and black is a good math experience. Then, they can put them in number order.

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

These are great ideas!

I also use cards and dice. (It sounds like Las Vegas, doesn't it.) I have children in groups of 2 or 3 play "War". I remove the aces, Jokers and face cards, then deal all the cards. Each child flips a card. The child with the highest card gets the pile. If the child doesn't know the number, they can count the symbols. Some people recommend using white out on the symbol just below the number.

I have the children roll a die with numbers written on it. He counts the manipulates (small figures) to equal that number and places them on a number line. We stop when the first person reaches 20.

I also have a chart for different numbers. 1 = clap, 2= jump, etc. We roll the die and perdom the activities.

I will give the children a beanbag and direct them to put it under, over, behind, above etc. body parts.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 27, 2009

For math and Lit/Lang together we use flannel story retelling. This is not only a lang activity, but the sequencing (what come next) is a math componet as well-----it is a two in one deal.