Small female to male ratio class 4:15

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliforniaGold, Aug 31, 2010.

1. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

My daughter is in a class with only 4 girls, and there are 19 students in the class. I would like your opinion on how being one of the only females in class may effect her socially? Does she need to be around more girls? Opinions?
    BTW the school is a new charter school, and they did have a lottery for entering students. Last year there were 6 girls in her class.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 31, 2010

I'm in a public school. I have 3 girls and 14 boys. The other K teacher has 4 girls and 12 boys. We take recess together so the girls can spend time with each other. So far so good.

4. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

I went to school with 2 girls and 8 boys. I personally didn't like it - even though you can socialize at recess with other grades, I was pretty shy and hated doing group work.

I guess it will depend on your daughter's personality - is she outgoing? and her teacher's teaching style. Hopefully he/she will not allow a lot of blurting out and competition in the class, which I have seen tends to happen when it is a fairly male-dominated ratio.

On the flip side, your daughter might really enjoy it! There will probably be a lot less "drama" happening inside the class!

5. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 31, 2010

I had a similar class make up when I was in middle school. It was really hard. Not interms of academic, but socially. I didn't get along with the other four girls in my class and I didn't really feel comfortable talking to the boys.

Eventually, my parents called the school and had me switched to a more balanced class. I think the school considered gender after that point when handling classes. I don't think this would have been as big a deal in elementary, because kids are less uncomfortable that way, or highschool where boys and girls know how to talk to each other. But in middle school is was really hard.

6. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 31, 2010

What grade?

I had a class during my student teaching last year, 32 students and only 6 boys....but it was high school so they switched around different classes

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 31, 2010

I have 2 girls and 13 boys this year. I thought about how unfair it may be, but there is nothing we can do. There is just a low number of girls in the entire 5th grade.I actually enjoy teaching boys mostly because there is less drama. If the boys have beef with each other they get it out of their systems right away, but girls drag it on and on!

8. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

She is in 1st grade. The thing that I am concerned about is her feeling like she has little choice in picking friends. If she is not getting along with someone, who else is there to be her friend? I've talked to the teacher about it already, not sure why female students are low at the school.

Thank you for all your stories, it's nice to here your opinions and thoughts.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2010

I have 1 girl and 13 boys in my class. It looks like that is the trend right now; shortage of girls. Well! She's hanging in there and I make sure she gets the positive attention she needs. Some of the boys are trying to turn her into a karate kicking, gun shooting little tomboy. She's tough and can hold her own.
    Rebel1

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2010

I'm starting to wonder who all these boys will marry. This has been a trend here recently. The worst I have had is 2 girls to 18 boys. Last year was 5 girls to 19 boys. In many ways I think it is good for the girls to hold their own with the boys. It has changed the way I teach - we are much more active.

11. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

Well, I have 14 girls and 8 boys...bucking the trend?? The other first grade is also girl heavy. It's just this class. 2 years ago it was 13 boys and 9 girls.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

In a few periods, we only have a few girls. It doesn't seem to affect them too bad.