Small classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TerriInCa, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 23, 2012

Today I got to actually measure my new classroom it is 487.6 sq ft.

I will have 30 students. I will have no room for a rug area. No room for a small group table. And my classroom library will need to be 1 small book shelf. And I don't quite know how I will have room for 30 desks and chairs.

PLUS I have 3 HUGE windows (great for all the natural light coming in) so I have no room to put things on the wall.

Suggestions anyone? Anyone will small rooms who can think of creative ways to put stuff with out stacking the students on top of each other?

:thanks:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2012

That is small but most of my rooms have been close to this.

Pin your posters to your blinds or curtains.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

Follow this link and scroll down to table 1004.1.1

It will tell you that in California classrooms, according to fire codes, you need 20 square feet per student. Do the math, and you will find that you don't.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

One recommendation from clutter free classroom I believe is to get rid of the Teacher's desk. That frees up room for either a carpet area or a small group table. Maybe you could do a carpet area outside of the room somewhere using a few blankets. Are the Gym, Library, Music, and/or Art rooms always in use (if you have these rooms)? Make a schedule of when various rooms are available and go on a mini field trip.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

Or make an appointment with the fire marshal.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

And then there is also ADA compliance. ADA is in effect, even if you do not have any handicapped students assigned to your class.

8. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 24, 2012

I thought it was 20. Thanks. I assume charter schools have to follow this too since it is a fire code?

I have to decide what to do with this info.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 24, 2012

Everyone has to follow the Fire Code. Don't you remember Lean on Me. They locked up Joe Clark (Morgan Freeman). Hopefully nothing that dramatic happens in your case.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2012

They may need to take some kids out of your class. My first year of teaching, I had an extremely tiny room (maybe slightly longer than yours; it was rectangular with a large window). My classroom was capped with 18 students. I was able to maintain a horseshoe shape as well as groups, though they were closer together than I would have wanted.

Looking back, I would not have had a teacher's desk. I don't have one now in my room, which is larger. It opens up a great deal of room. Get some plastic storage and stack it (1 on top of 1), if possible. I'd also get bookcases, if I didn't have any. My first year, I had two, but it would be even better with 4 or so (with some of those little sets of plastic drawers on the shelves). See if your school has the furniture.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 9, 2012

I'm not sure of the square footage of my room, but it is tiny. Luckily, so far I only have 22 students. I had to give up the idea of having a carpet area. There just isn't room. Right now I have the desks set up sort of in rows, but in pairs, if that makes sense. So 2 desks, little bit of space, 2 desks, little bit of space, etc. I tried to do pods of four and it just took up too much space but I didn't want to do just plain rows. At least this way they have a readily available partner. I shoved a horseshoe table next to my desk. I think guided groups are going to be hard because I'll be teaching literally right next to students that should be doing their independent work so I'm worried about noise and distractions. I managed to trade my two smaller bookshelves for one taller one so that it takes up less space. I only have one bulletin board so I just put up borders in a square shape to create another one on the wall- I saw a lot of teachers in my building doing this. I think it's going to be a lot of trial and error with the room set up and seeing what works.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

Use the windows as a display space. You can either hand a string across and use clothespins or tape stuff up. I have also seen teachers block off the lower half of the windows both for privacy and a display space. Don't forget you can hang smaller things on cabinet doors.

And, yes, charter schools in California have to follow all the same rules as regular public schools. Sometimes I think they calculate square footage of the entire school and divide it out so they are including non-classroom spaces which I don't think is right.

On pinterest they have had some ideas like hanging bags from the backs of chairs to store stuff and hanging files from the walls for organization. Good luck!

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

As far as the library goes my suggestion would be to often switch in and out the books that you have. It will be exciting for the kids- like they're constantly getting new books!