Small classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TerriInCa, Jun 17, 2012.

1. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 17, 2012

In a few weeks I will be able to set up my classwork for the fall. I am returning to classroom teaching after 6 years in Administration.

I will have a small room and 30 students. I am worried about where there backpacks, lunchboxes and coats will go!.

I would love to hear suggestions. I don't have room for cubbies and outside my classroom I can't attach hooks to the wall.

Thanks

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

Do you have hooks in your classroom or lockers outside of the classroom?

4. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 17, 2012

No hooks anywhere. No lockers. I found a huge cabinet on wheels in the school storage with hooks. I might have to use that unless I can come up with another solution.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

Can you put hooks in your walls for coats & backbacks? Maybe shelf over head.

6. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 17, 2012

I am going to assume no. No one else had hooks in their walls. There are tables outside the classroom for lunch, but I don't like the idea of everyone's stuff sitting outside on tables in the hallway.

The Kinder and the 1st had cubbies. But they done have as many kids as I do. :-(

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

You could hang coats and backpacks on chairs. It might be a bit distracting though.

Or you could put hooks on the underside of a table that is used to hold things but not really sit at.

Or maybe hooks under the whiteboard...

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2012

What do the other classrooms have?

9. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 17, 2012

Kinder class - has cubbies
    1st grade has cubbies
    I am the only 2nd grade
    3 on up has no hooks anywhere either!

10. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 17, 2012

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2012

What does 3rd use if no hooks?

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 17, 2012

What about command hooks? They don't damage the walls at all! You couldn't use them for backpacks with anything in them (the max they hold is 5lbs.), but for jackets or empty backpacks they would work. I use different command products all over my classroom, and they are great! Oh, and I have cinderblock walls, and between that and the type of paint that has been used on them, nothing else wants to stick.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

I use big tubs (the rubbermaid storage tubs) for bookbags. 4 tubs can hold (on average) 16 bookbags. You have to train the kids to get everything out of their bookbags that they are going to need first thing in the morning, but it works and it keeps their bookbags from being underfoot.

I have 6 stacked crates (2 wide, 3 high, to take up the minimum amount of floor space) where the kids put their lunches. We call it "the lunch cart."

Don't know what to tell you about the coats -- we have small hocks for those (they wouldn't hold something as big or heavy as a bookbag.)

It is always a challenge in a small room.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

I would ask the 3rd/4th/5th grade teachers what they use. They must have another solution if they don't have hooks, and you don't want to spend all this time planning/buying your own only to find out that there is a school wide system that everyone follows anyway.

I would think the tubs would be the most logical solution- they're out of the way completely then. Have one for backpacks, another one for coats, and another one for lunchboxes. If they don't do hooks I bet they do something like that- but wait and ask them.

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 17, 2012

* crates rubber maid type bins or even a small wagon or wheelbarrow for lunches
    * large rubber maid type bins could work for backpacks-
    crates & bins can be stacked or put under tables so they don't take up usable floor space. Or command hooks or those expandable wall hangers with the pegs (if bags are empty) outside classroom if not needed during day
    * coats- I would be hesitant to store in bins (lice can more easily become a problem). My first thought was also hooks under the dry erase board or BB or children's coat/hat racks (the kind with several pegs down the pole)- still going to be touching but at least not closed up together.

16. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 17, 2012

I've used Rubbermaid containers for their lunch boxes and backpacks. I've also had backpacks on the chairs and I hated it. We would trip over them all the time.

I am not sure what I am going to do this year as I am at a new school. I will ask the other teachers what they use before I decide.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 17, 2012

Personally, I don't like cubbies. They take up too much space.

My kids put one strap of their backpack on the back of their chair. In the winter time, they put their coat over their backpack on the back of their chair. I have never had a problem with backpacks or jackets falling off chairs.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 17, 2012

My babies tend to keep their jackets at their desks (I keep my room too cold for them, but there are only so many items of clothing I can take off!). I have shown them how to hang their jackets so they are facing the back of their chair - that way they don't fall off.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2012

When I student taught, each student had several magentic clips that clipped to each side of their desks. They hung backpacks in the way front, unfinished papers on the sides. They also had one under their chair for their math fact rings.

Do you have winter boats and snowpants to contend with? I would someone leave them out of the classroom.

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 18, 2012

If you still want to use the bins for coats, have the kids bag them in a kitchen sized garbage bag(if you use white, you can put their names on them) with handle ties first. That should keep the lice problem to a minimum.

21. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2012

You could have the children not bring in backpacks if you are not sending daily homework home. You might check with the teacher's of the older grades to find out their solution.

22. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 19, 2012

I used the really big rubbermaid type bins when I was in second grade and had no hooks for the backpacks. Kids would get their things out in the morning, put the backpacks in the bins and slide them under a table out of the way for the day. In winter, I had them put their coat in the backpack for the day - lice and storage problem solved. I first tried having them hang backpacks on back of their chairs and they fell in the floor all day long and we couldn't walk for them. It probably depends on how the back of your chairs are made whether they stay on well or not.