small classroom

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by mandy1221, Aug 7, 2002.

1. mandy1221

mandy1221 Rookie

Aug 7, 2002

Hello everyone! I just set up my classroom today and it is extremely small. I hardly have enough room for student tables and my reading table. The problem is that I really want to have an area in the room where we can have our morning meeting and storytime. Originally I was going to have a special carpet for these activities. I really want to break up the monotony of the students sitting at their desks all day. Any suggestions???

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2002

You could get carpet squares from carpet/flooring stores and use them for the meeting and story time, then stack them up in a corner or box when not in use.

I worked with a teacher who had a set of home-made risers in her room. They were L shaped. It blocked off that area for storytime and meetings. Then she had her desks/tables set up for other times. It was really crowded in that room but I LOVED her class.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2002

Desks or tables can be in a U-shape with a central area with pillows and rug for meetings and circle time. I agree that movement is important - especially in a small room. You can also take 'observation tours' - walk either outside or through a hallway and have the children observe silently then return and describe orally. Kids like small nooks and crannies, don't forget, so you don't need too much space for silent reading spots - even under desks can work!