Small class size

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Aug 7, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 7, 2012

Im sure there's tons of ideas that I could do with a small class size, but I can't think of any. I will have between 8-10 students in my classes. We have very low enrollment this year. Any suggestions?

What kind of ice breakers could I do? Normally I have a larger class.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 7, 2012

You could do "Find the Fib," where the kiddos (and you, if you wish) write down three things about themselves. Two things are true, and one is false. People at their table groups (or in this case, the class) guess which is not true.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2012

8-10? Heaven!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Do these students know each other from prior years?

You could have the students interview each other in groups of two and then present the interviews like a television reporter.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

When I taught middle school last year, most of my classes had at least 30 kids! One class actually had 36!

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

I have mostly small classes too- LOVE IT.

Anyways, one of my ice breakers was each kid had to write either a few things about themselves, or about their break. They read them out loud, then I took up the lists. Each kid made a bingo card, but instead of numbers they put each other's names (more than once since you only have 10). I call out a fact and they have to know who it's about and put a chip down.

You could also do the snow ball fight. You ask kids 5 questions about themselves (where they're from, favorite subject, etc) and they write down the answers. Then ball up the paper and throw it around for a while in a snowball fight. Then they pick up a paper, open it up and try to find the person it belongs to. Then they introduce that person to the class.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

Day one went pretty well. I feel a bit of anxiety, but I guess thats normal. I really need to get my body use to working again. Our class size has increased to about 11, which helps. It wasn't too bad though.

9. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I have 4 this year! :) Only one is middle school though.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

Jaime...may have some suggestions... I think she had some small classes.

11. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I have really enjoyed (and think the kids have too) a game (I'm sure there's a name for it???) in which the students have a list of topics like: went out of the state (country) for vacation over the summer, has a brother and a sister, is related to somebody in the class/school, plays soccer..... Etc. They have to find a person in the class to sign next to the specific topics that fit. The catch is that the entire activity is done WITHOUT talking. It's a "get to know MORE about you" activity, as well as a team building/nonverbal communication activity. I've done this in a class of 13 6th/7th graders who were mostly related, and they still enjoyed it.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

I am not a huge icebreaker person, but I do like to do this one with my students. With a bigger group, I would read a few cards each day. (I'll usually ask some follow-up questions about the true statements.) In a small class you can easily do this in one period.