sluggish computer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by clarnet73, Jun 8, 2005.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 8, 2005

Ok, all you computer-buffs...

I'm having a bit of a problem that I'v really only seen over the past couple of days... randomly, my computer will get REALLY sluggish for, oh, a minute or 2, or 3... and then go back to its normal speed. It doesn't matter if I'm on a mostly-text site, a graphics-intensive site, or not on the internet at all... it does it, then it's just go back to how I'm used to it.

I've done Housecall, the online virus scan... nothing found. I've run my adware and spyware programs, that didn't help... I've run scandisk AND de-fragmented it... and I've erased the temp. files, cookies, etc... none of these seemed to help... anyone else got some brilliant ideas? :)

Oh... I'm running Win 98, if that helps anyone.

Thanks! :)

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 8, 2005

I am not much of a "computer buff" but I can go by my own experiences. Have you installed any new programs lately? How much memory have you used/ do you have left on your hard drive? Also, how many programs do you have running simultaneously (sp?) ? What is your RAM? In my own experience, it is a generally a memory issue that slows a computer down. But maybe someone with more knowledge can pinpoint your problem better.

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 8, 2005

Windows 98 has poor memory management for starters. If this is happening after you've had your system up for a while, a reboot to dump out your memory will help speed things back up
    (Rule #1 in trouble shooting... try a reboot first sometimes computers do wierd things for absolutely no reason... Kind of like kids when they get cranky, let them rest for a few minutes)

Spyware would be my firs guess as to what's going on. Lately it seems adaware hasn't been catching much here. I run my ISP program that is provided, my husband uses spybot. If you don't already have spybot, try grabbing it and see if it helps.

You probably need to seriously think about getting norton or some other virus scanner to keep on your computer.

Who is your ISP company, do they have a security package. I know a lot of them are starting to offer them now... Just a thought as an inexpensive way to protect your computer...

Also, what are your system specs. It could just be old age setting in ;)

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 8, 2005

I do have Norton, but haven't paid for the newest round of virus def's :embarassed:

I'll run spybot and see if that helps. I have had this comp. for... let me think... 4 1/2 years or so, I'll also try uninstalling and getting rid of some stuff I know I don't need, see if that'll free up more space. Thanks, sd :)

6. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jun 8, 2005

I had Norton, and it wasn't catching my viruses. I bought McAfee instead. It has done a great job on my computer. I had several viruses with Norton, and I haven't had any that have caused problems to my computer. I have had a lot of Spyware, but it finds it and lets me know to delete it.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 8, 2005

It may just be Windows 98, but that wouldn't explain it all of sudden happening, unless it just hit a point where it had too much stuff on it.

Windows 98 is bad... You would be surprised how much better your computer would run if you upgraded to Windows XP. My hubby upgraded his mom's PC not too long ago and it made a big difference. If you have any open slots for RAM, that would help too. RAM is pretty easy to install.

Oh, also, before you run your spyware scans, do you update first to be sure you have all the latest spyware info?

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 8, 2005

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 8, 2005

I Dl'd the newest Spybot, and checked for updates... found several things on my comp. that had NOT been found by adaware...

Not perfect now, but seems to be running better, at least... I'm looking at getting a new one in the next year or so anyway... not sure I have enough memory to go up to 2000... how would I find that out? (usually I'm pretty savvy, but now I'm stumped. ;)

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 15, 2005

XP would probably be the better move, it's much more stable than 2000. If you're looking at a new copmuter next year anyhow, I don't know that it's really worth messing with. Just make sure you're doing the windows updates. If you're running second edition it's pretty stable, and they're still doing security updates for it (we run it at school still .. the only reason I know that about the security updates)...
    as to find out about the memory go to microsoft.com search for windows XP or windows 2000 and look into system requirements