Slow!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Feb 11, 2011.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Feb 11, 2011

Hi everyone!

Well I have a first grade student who is EXTREMELY slow when it comes to doing classwork. It takes him 5 minutes to write his name. I timed him twice this week and it took him 12 minutes to write the sentence starter for journal writing. I have referred him to the student support team. Also, not to mention he is 8 years old (he did not fail either) and is coming from a private school inwhich his mother states was much harder for him and yet he did so well there....help!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2011

I'm working with a student who is extremely slow at everything he does too. He knows the answer and seems pretty bright, but boy is he slow at everything. Apparently, he had a difficult birth where he had no oxygen for a period of time (I can't remember what happened)

Perhaps there is something going on, mentally, with this boy? With the student I work with, all I can do is be patient and just encourage him to move a bit faster :D

But, I would definitely start SST with him.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2011

Can you maybe put a timer on his desk? Let him know that he has x amount of time to do this. Then set the timer for that amount of time, and if he's not finished, he has no choice but to move on....that is if the SST comes back and says there is nothing wrong.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2011

My daughter is slow. At everything. Putting on her shoes, walking to the car, doing her math, everything.

She's also high ability, though. I just wanted to throw that out there, that sometimes it's nothing really wrong, just that is how it is.

(and yes, it drives me nuts. I'm always in high gear, I can't stand dawdling, and I move fast. I have to really tell myself to slow down with her)

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Feb 12, 2011

Great idea with the timer..I have a first grader who is extremely slow at writing as well. He is extremely bright, but seems to daydream during writing period, and even with multiple teacher prompts it is often hard for him to get two sentences down. He has the thoughts in his head, but transferring them to paper is difficult for him. I think I'll try the timer with him!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2011

There are a few things that I would try to have the school or parent rule out. First, ADD. I've seen a few students who are extremely slow and bright because they are severe ADD. A doctor would need to diagnosis this. Second, I would get his vision checked. This could cause a student to be slow because he/she is trying to read the words but cannot see them. Again, a doctor would need to diagnosis this. Lastly, I would look at a processing disorder. Students can be extremely slow because they need more time to process information. This usually carries over into everything they do from writing, reading, talking, playing, etc. This is something that your SST team could determine.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Feb 12, 2011

As others have said, I would try to determine why the student is so slow first. Are they writing a letter and then daydreaming? Or stopping to chat? Tons of my kids do this!

9. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 12, 2011

I like the timer idea but I have seen children focus so hard on the time and get very anxious about time running out that they could not complete the work. I have a student who I have put on his very own sticker chart. Everytime he completes the work on time he gets a sticker. If he completes all of the lessons on time he can pick an activity off of my activity chart. We have just started and it has helped improve his lack of focus but it has not "cured" it. Any improvement is a battle won! Let me know what you find works.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 12, 2011

8, wow!

11. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Feb 13, 2011

It's a combination of it all.. Worrying about other people, daydreaming, slow at writing in his journal, slow at doing a worksheet, slow at getting his coat on! I timed him last week and it basically takes him 12 minutes to do something compared to 8-9 minutes it takes everyone else to do something. I have placed the timer on his desk and encouraged him to pick up the pace. I even have peer/student tutors assisting him. I even moved his seat closer to the board thinking maybe he had a vision problem, but still he is slow!

I just really love how his mother will say oh last year he went to a private/Catholic school and he has such challenging work and that this stuff is so easy for him!

So cannot wait til this child's SST meeting! Even on the SST paperwork they have this child down for being in 2nd grade!