Slow Worker

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bogart, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I have a student this year who is an extremely slow worker. He finishes almost ten minutes later than everyone else. We were doing our DOL for the day--I like to go over them when the students finish, but I ended up waiting a very long time for this student to finish. I'm just wondering what you guys do with extremely slow workers. Should I have him go in the hall to finish and then just correct his later? Any other strategies to help him along? He does have Asperger's.

Thanks!

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

You may have to have one of your higher students work with this child one on one in order for him to keep up. I really don't know what else at this time that is the only thing that comes to my mind. I would just assign someone to him.

I would also docunment everything to take the next step if need be.

4. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

With him having Aspergers does he have an IEP? If so, does it say anything about giving him more time to finish? I mean I still dont know exactly what you would do but if it specfies it in the IEP then he has to be given extra time.

I have some slow workers too tho and I have the same problem to tell you the truth and mine arent even SPED. I've just gotten to the point where I keep on going because Im afraid if I always give them extra time they will always expect it and they need to learn to get their work done and not daydream so much.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Adding to the IEP thing,
    we often do modified assignments (as well as extra time). Most times, we assign the EC (SpEd) kids odd problems while the rest of the class does the entire assignment.
    Forcing him to do all the work will likely cause him to shut down and not do ANY! :eek:

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

I wouldn't send him into the hall to finish, because then he will miss what is going on in class -- and he needs that more. Aspies are notorious for being perfectists, who take FOREVER to finish everything. They agonize over the formation of their letters, which really can slow things down.

I'd shorten the assignment for him, or just let him do what he can get done in the time alotted, but make sure he is there and listening during the review (even if he hasn't finished.) Being a part of the review is more important than being finished, in my opinion.

That's the problem with "extended time." While the child is having extended time on assignment one, they miss the review of assignment one, the lecture, and the beginning of assignment two. Modifying the assignment, by shortening it, is perfectly acceptable for a child with Aspergers.