Slow Pokes - What do you do?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, May 9, 2007.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 9, 2007

This is something Im struggling with. I have such a range this year. I have kids that speed through the work and are constantly screaming "Im done!" No problem Ive created a challenge basket for them. But this year Ive got about 5 kids that are so slow and never finish any work. What do you do with them. Ive tried cutting down the work or setting a limit and sending it home after a certain time. Ive set aside one day a week for them to finish work. But for some reason with this group of kids its just not getting done. They work very hard on the work and are very meticulus. To be honest I wish more kids worked as hard as these 5 do. They take a lot of pride in their work. But after a point I have to move on.:)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

Good question. I've had several students who work at a much slower pace. I just let them work on their stuff while the other kids get free time. It works out fine in my class. But I would love to hear what other teachers do. In my experience, what teachers usually do is, they assign in class work, and whatever doesn't get done becomes homework.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

I have the slow pokes finish while the others read or whatever. However, this has caused my slowest child to speed up a bit.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 10, 2007

Can't you evaluate the slow pokes on what has been done so carefully? Does everyone have to finish everything?

6. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 10, 2007

No not everyone has to finish everything however there are some things that need to be finished. Its getting out of control. For example if Im making a class book or class project I would like to include a finish product. If its just a math worksheet then so be it I can evaluate on what they have done.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 10, 2007

They don't always have to finish, but it's a good thing to teach them the importance of finishing what they start. I have kids who make one mark on a page and say they are finished because they are lazy. The ones who are meticulous and take forever are the ones who always seem to WANT to finish.

8. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 11, 2007

Exactly Grammy Teacher. So I guess a better way to put my question is how do you allow for those kids who want to finish the time to finish. And the kids who make the one mark and scream "Im done" How do you motivate them to do a better product.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 11, 2007

Compliment the kids who finished. Tell them what a wonderful job they have done and how proud you are of them. This usually get everyone motivated. If it doesn't, it's time to give m&ms to the ones who finished or at least put forth some effort. Don't get caught up in the candy giving though. That's just a one shot deal to see if it works. At least you'll learn if the child is able to do the work. Sometimes they have no clue so will sit there in confusion. Try getting them started on their work and compliment them a lot on what a hard worker he/she is.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 11, 2007

I do what Grammy says I say how proud I am of them.

As they begin their work I walk around and say I really like Brian is taking his time. I like the colors Kevin is using. Everyone look at Lauren's picture and the details she is using. I like how Jeremy is brainstorming ideas before writing. etc...

Most will model their friends. For the ones who finish quickly if I am not happy with the product I ask to add more to it or please slow down and so on.

The ones who are really slow I tell them that can finish when they have finished their snack, or during quiet time or when they finish another activity. They will usually ask when we have a few minutes if they can finish their project.

11. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 12, 2007

12. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

May 12, 2007

lw3teach-
    Agree- behavior and laziness are my 2 main causes of children who do not finish their work...they stay inside while the rest of the group goes outside, or they finish their work during snack.
    A child who CANNOT do the work is another story....he/she gets a peer tutor. One of the "I'M DONE!" kids gets to help the "I can't" kid.Of course, I am close by monitoring the "help" they are getting so I can intervene if needed. It keeps the "early finishers" busy, and gives them a confidence boost when they help another child...just a suggestion.
    We have another type of "slow poke"- one's who drag behind the line...and since we walk from one building to another, it's really important that I see the end of the line enter the building before the door slams shut. I have to move them to the interior part of the line...behind a fast walker, and in front of a child who can GENTLY tell them to "step on the gas"....otherwise, cutting in line occurs when fast kids try to go aroud slow movers...then it's chaos, running, yelling, pushing.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 12, 2007

I do ask my fast finishers if they would like to help the slower kids who can't do the work as quickly. It's a choice and they almost always say, yes. IF they don't want to help, they can read or do puzzles,etc as long as they are quiet.