SLLA 6011- admin exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by frteach, Jan 24, 2016.

1. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 21, 2018

Most of the points come from the MC, if you did well enough on it you'll pass.

2. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 21, 2018

I started off with an opening sentence and then answered each part with a bullet. The ETS practice test is good for studying.

3. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 2, 2018

I have been practicing the CR from the ETS site and other study guides but concerned about stating enough content. Any suggestions or does anyone know how much the CR weigh on the final score?

4. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

70% multiple choice, 30% CR

5. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 2, 2018

Thanks! I am fairly comfortable with the MC as long as I think globally and not specifically about my district, but I am starting to stress the CR

6. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

What state are you trying to pass for?

7. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 2, 2018

Tennessee

8. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

You only need 160. I'll give you the advice I was given: focus most of your efforts on the MC. For the CR, use bullet points , don't write entire paragraphs, get right to the point.

TN has the lowest score requirement, so I wouldn't fret. Just answer the questions as if you were an administrator.

9. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 2, 2018

Thank you - appreciate any help. I finished my school work and got caught in a gap year where TN wouldn't accept out of state programs so am now taking the exam years later when I received confirmation that I can now submit the score for my license - so trying to refresh my knowledge when answering the CR's

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2018

Fourthekids, on the constructed responses let me recommend responding as an administrator addressing another administrator who means you well but knows you're new and just wants to be assured that you do know what you're doing. Use the technical terminology that's appropriate, but don't sweat over the grammar.

11. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 4, 2018

Thanks - appreciate it

12. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 13, 2018

Well sitting here thinking I didn't pass...... I didn't complete all of the CR. Time ran out in the middle of one and still had one left. I definitely made the mistake of spending too much time on the first CR which everyone warned me not to do. Bummed out but guess I can take it again.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2018

Hugs to you, Fourthekids. If 6011 is structured the way most such tests are, constructed responses count for about 30% of the total test score: a strong performance on multiple choice by itself can be enough to pass.

If it's any consolation, many people who leave a test like this thinking they haven't passed find out that they did.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 16, 2018

Thanks - I took it at the beginning of the testing window so can't worry about it now....will just try and focus on the end of the school year and can re-take later in the summer.

15. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

Apr 16, 2018

Felt the exact same way..... have you received your scores yet?

16. Fourthekids

Fourthekids Rookie

May 9, 2018

I received the email on Saturday saying scores were posted, I was afraid to check and then got busy with end of the school year stuff. I bit the bullet and checked this morning - I PASSED with a 170. What a relief :)
    Have you received your scores?

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 9, 2018

You quoted your own post. Which poster are you referring to?

18. OakwoodmsLandshark

OakwoodmsLandshark Rookie

May 23, 2018

Taking the rest in July. On the practice test, I took it cold and missed 11 on the multiple choice. When I looked over it, I understood why they picked the answer they did. Any suggestions on specific content to study for written questions?

19. mseducator23

mseducator23 New Member

May 30, 2018

What is considered a good score on the MC practice test? I am stressing!

OakwoodmsLandshark likes this.
  20. teacherinMS

teacherinMS New Member

Jun 1, 2018

Hey y'all, I took the SLLA on May 11th and got my score back today. I passed with a 183. My question is how can I better understand my score breakdown?? The numbers just aren't making sense to me when I look at the score report. Thanks!

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 1, 2018

Congratulations! :celebrate:

What is the breakdown of your scores?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  22. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 1, 2018

Congrats! The breakdown at the end of the report is the only way I know. Where did you complete your administration program if you don't mind me asking?

23. teacherinMS

teacherinMS New Member

Jun 1, 2018

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Thanks! My Ed.S. Is from Mississippi College. I'm trying to post a screen shot with my breakdown. Any tips on how to do that??

24. teacherinMS

teacherinMS New Member

Jun 1, 2018

Vison and Goals 11 of 14
    Teaching and Learning 18 of 24
    Managing organizational systems and safety 11 of 12
    Collaborating with key stakeholders 11 of 14
    Ethics and Integrity 15 of 16
    The Education System CR 12 of 12
    Vision and Goals CR 9 of 12
    Teaching and Learning CR 17 of 18
    Apparently, you are not allowed to copy, paste, or link information directly from a score report. Who knew? I added up the total allowable points, and that was 122. I earned 104 points. I am just trying to figure out how that came out to be 183. I finished the MC in about 45 minutes, and went back and looked over the ones I marked. I only changed one, I believe. I knew it was, "think long, think wrong". I used EVERY second for my CR. I had five minutes left after finishing up my seven, so I went back and added more.

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  25. 3K's

3K's Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Just got my results from May 11th test. In Kansas needed a 165 and I got a 172. I had not been in school since 2008 and was petrified of taking this test. I found a valuable resource in EDUCATOR ALEXANDER who has test prep material. Google her and purchase for 175.00 her SLLA test prep. Worth every penny, her help with the MC and CR made all the difference for me, I had two weeks to prepare for this test and her info and resourced made all the difference. I am blessed

26. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Do you have any other resources? I took it May 8th. And scored a 158. I need a 169 for Mississippi. But you say the educator Alexander is useful?

27. 3K's

3K's Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Jamie
    Look into the Educator Alexander materials, I know it is another 175.00 but such an invaluable teaching tool. The MC portion is close to two hours plus of her talking via power point on information that you need to know to knock out the test, on the CR it another 2 hours and gives strategies on how to answer the question and you can email her questions.... I outlined them just like I would in a class and became my study guide for MC and used her steps to make a CR study guide...I have never met her and she lives in Louisiana I believe and I in midwest, I am not getting any kickback. Without a doubt this helped me pass.

28. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Thank you!

29. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Anything other resources you have that you wouldn't mind sharing?

30. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

The SLLA practice test on the ETS site was useful for me. Where did you complete your administration program if you don't mind me asking?

31. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

William carey university in Hattiesburg ms

32. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

Ok, cool. Have you ever thought about trying to get your administrator license in another state and transferring back to MS? Different states have different scores, MS is the highest.

33. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Yes I know. The highest. I am taking it again in two weeks.

34. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

Well, I'm pulling for you to get that 169, but if you don't, don't fret. You can obtain certification in other states and do reciprocity with MS, just Google School Leadership Series passing scores.

35. Jamie Ham

Jamie Ham Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Thank you! I’m gonna do the educator Alexander. When you buy it, is it a self pace thing. Or how does it work?

36. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

You may want to research it as I've never used that resource. I just used the ETS practice test and the advice from my classmates, and that was to focus mostly on the MC because that's where the bulk of the points come from.....and that's exactly what I did!

37. teacherinMS

teacherinMS New Member

Jun 2, 2018

I used the ETS practice test. I took it and then researched the ines I missed and I familiarized myself with the standards. I scored 183. I don't think you need to do a lot of extra. Just know those standards and use the key terms.

MS~AHuff~6-13-18 likes this.
  38. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

If I had to jump through all the hoops and take all the tests required nowadays, I don't think I'd consider a career in education. Is there any correlation between these new tests and the competence of those who pass them? As a former principal, I had no problem with fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of the job. It was the unethical politics of toxic district leadership that was the killer for me! Does the admin. exam have any questions relating to a) the challenges of working with politically-motivated superiors or b) the application of basic management principles , as opposed to administrative practices?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  39. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 2, 2018

There needs to be a rigorous set of standards used to measure subject matter competency as not all educational programs are created equal (that is, equal in terms of rigor and classroom preparation). Administrators and school districts cannot just take applicants at their word — they need empirical evidence that applicants know what they say they know, or at the very least, indicate their knowledge and skill set in a formal setting. Now that is not to say that these tests dictate whether or not someone will be a good teacher or administrator, because they don’t. What they DO show is mastery or proficiency of their content.

There should to be the same standards for everyone, regardless of the discipline being pursued. It is so that students get the best possible teachers or admin in the classroom or at school. For example, at my school, even thought the biology teachers worked at Genentech for several years in a laboratory setting or were a medical doctor in the military, they STILL had to take and successfully pass all of their teaching exams for licensure.

It is essential that ALL teachers and admin be certified.

40. mseducator23

mseducator23 New Member

Jun 2, 2018

How well did you do on the ETS PT? I’m trying to gauge myself to see if I’m in a safe zone as far as my % correct is concerned.