SLLA 6011- admin exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by frteach, Jan 24, 2016.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 4, 2019

I took the 6011. The 6011 is 100 mc and 7 essays, the 6990 is 120 mc and 4 essays. I used the ets practice praxis test to help me prepare. You have to answer questions as an administrator and not a teacher. Also, for the essays, get right to the point with answers. You don't need long drawn out answers. Use bullet points when answering. This will save you valuable time.

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 4, 2019

Please tell me you are applying to admin positions. I need an update on your job hunting situation!

We will both be admin if you find a position, lol!

3. Lynn Beal

Lynn Beal Rookie

May 5, 2019

Thank you! You make some really good points about the test differences, and I haven’t done my due diligence to uncover that information yet. I think the only game changer for me would be if the test parts could be taken separately. I hadn’t even considered that, but it’s important.

4. Lynn Beal

Lynn Beal Rookie

May 5, 2019

I’m curious why you took both? Did you need both? Did you find the content more common-sense on one and philosophical on another? I’m just curious...

5. Lynn Beal

Lynn Beal Rookie

May 5, 2019

The plot thickens...it appears that the SLLA 6990 is only available for one testing session, which is July 1-13, and the 6011 has two 7/1-7/13 and 7/29-8/10. Do you think that ets hasn’t updated the schedule for the remainder of the year, or is this it? I have to pass my test with scores in hand by Feb 1. ETS still has the 2018 dates posted, which include later dates. Any thoughts?

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 5, 2019

I only took the 6011. I was just giving you info on both. The new 6990 info is available on the praxis website. The test is really a common sense test, but again, you have to answer as an administrator. My classmates who had already taken the test told me this and they were right.

7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 5, 2019

I don't think they have included the dates for the remainder of 2019 based on what was posted for 2018.

8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 5, 2019

I'm not ready to give up that summer break just yet, but if I'm approached with the right position for the right pay, I'd take it. I'm just happy to be done with class work, testing and never ending paperwork.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2019

What you've posted means that both tests are given in two-week testing windows rather than year around, but where 6011's windows may be as frequent as every four weeks, 6990's windows are scheduled less often. That could be important information for you, Lynn Beal. This also indicates that Praxis's testing year begins either the second or third week of August. It wouldn't be wise to predict the exact test windows for 2019-2020 from the schedule for 2018-2019, but it's broadly true that a computer-based test will be offered in the same number of windows in 2019-20 as it has been in 2018-2019. May is the latest month in which Praxis (and Pearson) generally announce the next year's test dates. It wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement this week.

10. Lynn Beal

Lynn Beal Rookie

May 6, 2019

Thank you, that explains my scheduling confusion. You suggested reviewing the tests' components and timeframes, which I've done. Given the intent to phase out one effective 1/1/2020, I have decided to go with the new one, 6990. Are there any books or study materials one can buy for these tests? I plan to print the ets practice and pay for the one-time online assessment at some point. As of now, I'll probably take the exam at the end of summer, allowing ample retake opportunities if they're needed.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2019

Your best bet, frankly, is likely to be building your own study guide; 6990 is new enough, and taken by few enough people, that reliable test-preparation publishers probably don't see a profit in producing materials for it. Use the online free study guide - including its sample questions - as a source of terms to look up online. If you can find materials for 6011, they may also be helpful in clarifying concepts.

12. CrazyCoach

CrazyCoach New Member

May 31, 2019

Question 1
    I made a 165 and need a 166. Should I bite the bullet and pay for a score review?

Question 2

I scored a 165 and needed a 166 on my slla exam for Louisiana. Is it possible to get certified in another state and have my certification transferred to LA? A 165 is passing in many states.

Any help is appreciated. I've already given ETS $850, not trying to make it $1275.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 31, 2019

Hugs, CrazyCoach.

1. Score verification generally produces a change of result only when there's evidence of a testing irregularity - for instance, the score report asserts that one left a given constructed response blank when one knows that one did in fact answer it. On the other hand, and if the price isn't too high, paying for score verification can assuage a test taker's case of the what-ifs. Check the test schedule, though, to make sure that score verification won't delay you retaking the test past some deadline date that you need to observe.

2. Certifying out of state solely to certify in state can be a bit of a crapshoot. If a school district or other hiring body is waiting eagerly for you to pass SLLA so you can be hired, your best bet might be to have a quiet, private discussion with whoever in the organization really, really knows the ins and outs of certification. Failing that, look around for an, um... (TG calibrates quickly: This is Louisiana, and Louisiana does parishes, not counties: check)... parish-level or region-level education authority that's staffed by live people who know from certification - though the organization that has a vested interest in you getting hired might be likelier to know the limits within which a licensure candidate can get away with being, shall we say, creative.

14. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 31, 2019

Yes, but under certain circumstances.

Google "out of state administrative packet louisiana". The requirements are there. You'll need a minimum two years experience as a principal or assistant principal for an out of state level one principal which is nonrenewable after three years.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. HokieBoy47

HokieBoy47 Rookie

Jun 4, 2019

Lynn,
    I am in the Liberty University's Ed D program, too. I took 6011 and failed it twice by 2 points (161). I decided to take 6990 and passed with flying colors (160-you need 146 in Virginia). I hated doing 7 essay questions, 4 essays were better for me because my attention span was not up for 7..lol..I also believe 120 MC is way to go as well. I simply used the ETS study guide. Good Luck and with your Ed D
    Wayne