Slippers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2004

:cool: I am asking my parents to bring slippers to stay at school for the kids this year. They will change into them when they arrive. I know it will mean alot of shoes to put on for outside, but I think it will be worth the comfort this winter.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 24, 2004

I like that idea. We have pea gravel on our playground and the kids shoes get sooooooo dusty with that light brown dirt that is STILL on the rocks that won't wash off with all the rain we've had for several years now... Hmm... I might have to try that. We are always putting shoes back on anyway with some of ours not wanting to keep them on... slippers would be so much easier to deal with.

Lori

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2004

Our playground is very dirty...wood chips that only half cover the dirt areas...it should keep things cleaner...and like you say(Lori), they take their shoes off all day long anyway to play in the dress up shoes...all morning long I hear,"Will you tie my shoes...or I have a knot in my shoe."

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2004

One more thing...today we all kept smelling 'poop" and thought someone had something in their pants. Come to find out, it was dog poop on one of the kids shoes! So it goes in this profession!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2004

Lori-

For your kids that have "shoe issues" (we have several of them!), if slippers don't fly (I love the idea, by the way!), you might ask the parents to send in sandals... we have several kids who change into sandals when they get to school, or who have a choice of "shoes or sandals" when they kick their shoes off. Hey, in the winter, if you're indoors, who cares!? :)

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 25, 2004

how about year round, Florida, and NOT being allowed to wear open toe!!!
    Stubbed toes, things dropping on it is their fear.

8. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 25, 2004

You could also get water shoes. The kind with a rubber bottom and the top is stretchy--no laces etc. Safer than slippers, may-be. I've used these with some of my kids who could keep their shoes on. Right now they are on sale at Walmart (end of the season) for $2 a pair.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

I worry about slippers in the winter...fire drills and being slippery walking on the floors.. Slippers get awful wet really fast. I know a teacher who asks that the kids have indoor/outdoor shoes. Last yrs models for outdoor and the new ones for indoor.

Seich-Love the water shoe idea though!!!

Ruth- our kids can wear sandals but have to have a buckel of some sort to keep them on their feet.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 25, 2004

Hmm... I might have to go buy some of those water shoes or something ... whatever is dirt cheap. I get paid this weekend... can afford them then! :) Just get various sizes... if some kid has some that are too big, maybe that will keep them from running... lol.

We had a child come in this morning with grassy feet... someone must have mowed yesterday. Their shoes were covered in wet grass.

Thank goodness we've not had any dog poop on the shoes yet! That had to be gross!!

Lori

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

Well, if we have a fire drill...and their slippers get wet from rain or snow, then I will have them put their shoes back on while their slippers dry! I'm going to have them put their slippers in their baskets at the end of the day...hey maybe that way the parents will actually notice their art projects and take them home! NOooooooooo...silly me...not a chance.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

Oh and Ruth, no sandals in Florida of all places! Maybe you better get steel toed work boots to be super safe!!!!!!!

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2004

Grammy, do your parents know the projects are ready to be taken home? I'm not being smart! My daughter went to VBS at a new church last year, and each day I carried her craft for her. One day the teacher gently told me crafts were to be left there till Friday night's closing ceremony. At our church, you take them each day. Maybe your parents really don't know what to do. I've only met one parent my whole 8 years as a children's ministry director who did want like his kid's crafts.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2004

Yes they know...we all tell them by newsletter and have them ready in their baskets...there are even parents who throw the papers away on their way out the door or leave them pile up in their baskets so high that we have to put them in a bag and hang them on their hook with a note. Yes, they do know. There are parents who don't see the value of their child's efforts...they just don't want the "clutter" in their house. Sad, but true. I have this more than I care to say in over 15 years of teaching. I have a new plan this year...the crafts are at the top of my stairs with a note hanging above them for the parents, "Please take your child's work home" and another note in the stairway as they leave, "Did you take your child's art from the table?" don't get me wrong, there are many parents who do cherish their children's work. Maybe this year would be a good idea to really educate the families on this subject.

15. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 26, 2004

My kids have backpacks and I put the work in everyday for them. The kids of course love wearing the backpacks so they always go home. Last year I had one student who wouldn't clean out his backpack--so when it got really full I would put his papers in a separate plastic bag for him to carry. I think the kids are very excited about their work, so they get it out when they get home. I teach ESE kids, so we back their bags for them. I know the regular pre-k kids have the students transfer their own work to their backpacks or totes from their basket. Just a thought!

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004

Boy, do I need to be more careful! I meant I had only one parent NOT want his child's crafts. This dad saw no need for a weekly craft. Just like you said, he thought it was clutter.

17. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Sep 1, 2004

What about the parents that EXPECT to have SOMETHING every day to take home? And then when there is nothing one day how do they know there will be anything there tomorrow, so why bother looking anyway? I guess I don't worry too much about them taking things home.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2004

Itsjustme...I see your point and I guess "it just doesn't matter" after all. In fact, I have already pulled down the signs and went back to the basket idea for art and projects. It has bothered me because the kids just love to see their things hanging up at home and I think it instills in them the love of learning and being proud of their accomplishments. Since we do everything else for them day after day, I guess we might as well be the ones to hang up their art and admire it day after day!!! What do you think about that itsjustme?

19. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Sep 2, 2004

Well, I don't care that parents dont care. I care and thats what I am here for, to care for the children. I did my job its up to the parents to do theirs.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2004

Yes, I agree to an extent...it is my job and I do it well. I was (and still am) a very dedicated, loving parent and considered it the most important job in my life...that's what's wrong with the world today...parents are not doing their parenting "job."

21. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Sep 2, 2004

Too many parents think that they are doing their job when in fact they are doing it all WRONG- at least according to me. You can tell who the 'good' parents are and who the 'lazy' ones are. Its just so obvious. Then you get the parents that think that their kid is so much better than the other kids and the parent grows to not like other peoples children and then the child doesn't like other children and then and then and then.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2004

Slow down there Itsjustme...there really are some good parents out there.They may be few and far between, but there are some. Try not to over analyze or you will become frustrated. Just take care of the kids as best you can and remember that laughter is the best medicine. Do you ever do that during the day? I have a friend at work and all we do is laugh...we used to work together but people thought we were having too much fun...Ha!

23. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Sep 2, 2004

I try to laugh at everything, I think I tire myself out more than the kids. I have this friend at work too, it only took one summer of being her assistant before jelousy set in next door and that was the end of all our fun. I can still remember getting up in the morning and being so excited to come into work (even though it was so hot and we were upstairs and there was no air conditioning) but all we did was laugh, we had so much fun that summer I will never forget it. The kids were crazy but so were we, I had never been so stress-free in my life. We went on great field trips and went for walks all the time. She is still hanging around, flaunting her creativity and I am STILL learning something new from her every day, so much it makes me sick, where does she get all this knowledge? I honestly don't know how I would get through the day with out her. I think I would have to quit. She is really the ONLY real human in the building, the rest of the teachers are just blah. Its nice to have some one like her to be able to talk to about STUFF besides the kids.Ya know? I guess if it weren't for her I don't know what I would be doing right now.....

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2004

I can't believe how much your friend sounds like mine at work!!! We can sit and laugh at nothing...and no one understands us at all...they are all so busy worrying about nothing...they should stop and smell the roses...have wild hair and wear crazy clothes...loosen up a bit or something. Yea, it would be awful without my crazy friend at work.