slightly irritated...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Andrea L, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I went to Walmart tonight because I was bored at home. I walked down the school supply section and they had their spiral notebooks for 5 cents. Just last week, I bought 30 at 10 cents a piece. I didn't have my receipt on me, so I will go back another day to have them adjust the price. I know it's only $1.50, but that will buy 30 more spiral notebooks, or glue or whatever. :mad:

3. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I went to two Walmarts today and they had none left :( No rainchecks either

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2008

Ours don't even have the 10-cent notebooks yet!

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 7, 2008

Ahhh I need to go to Wal Mart tomorrow!

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

Our WalMart's school supply section is super tiny right now, I don't even think they have the notebook's yet! I remember when I was getting ready to go back to college, their school supply sections where HUGE....now not so much. That makes my teacher heart sad.

7. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I just bought the spiral notebooks for .05...what a deal! Andrea L, I can relate to how you feel...I bought some porfolio folders for .15 at Walmart, and then learned about the .01 folders at Staples. (It's only a few dollars, but with penny sales that can buy a lot! :) )

buck8teacher...I think the school supply section will grow as it gets closer to "Back-to-School" time. At least ours does. :)

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

Last year I worked for Crayola's Walmart school supply thing they do. I got a $100 gift card to Walmart, just for helping parents find the supplies. The store ran out of wide lined paper and so parents were buying the narrow rulled paper for first graders. They ran out of almost everything and wouldn't get a new delivery until after school started.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Not to get off the subject entirely, but I am slightly irratated with Lakeshore. I drove 50 miles yesterday to go to Lakeshore to use coupons and the sale starts today. They had NO sympathy I drove that far and couldn't use the coupon- it was the afternoon too. Would it really have made such a huge difference to them? I am not going back. Maybe I should e-mail and tell them that....hmm.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I would email them... couldn't hurt!

I am putting off buying notebooks for some reason. Need to get my hiney to Walmart soon!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 7, 2008

Keep in mind that it is still early July. My Walmart has just started putting supplies in the front of the store. As they sell off the summer stuff (life vests, pool toys, etc) they will expand the section. I think they only have one small isle for BTS so far.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I wish I wasn't boycotting Wal-Mart. I haven't been in one of their stores for maybe ten years. And the prices really are better for some things.

Would it be cheating if I sent my son in there to get some things?

Sigh... I think it's the only thing I've chosen to protest actively, and if the price of gas goes any higher....

13. meadowrun

meadowrun Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Our Walmart does not have spirals on sale. That's a great deal.

14. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I boycotted Wal-Mart until fairly recently. The problem is that after I moved to Arizona last August, I found that the local Wal-Mart was the only source of lamp shades, clothing, footwear, and other items I needed. The alternative would have been to spend two hours driving back and forth to Tucson. I must admit that I also like Wal-Mart's food prices. They sell avocados at the local Wal-Mart for just 50 cents each compared to a dollar at the local Safeway.

The biggest criticism I have of Wal-Mart quality is that I don't like their beef. Beef is graded as prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, utility, cutter and canner. Most prime grade meat goes to restaurants. Safeway generally carries choice grade meats while Wal-Mart typically carries select.

There's a big difference in taste between choice and select. Select is generally leaner and less flavorful.

I like 69 cent Wal-Mart chicken ... but I won't buy their beef.

15. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Our Wal-Mart still had them for 10 cents. We decided to wait to get any.