Sleepy First Graders???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

I'm worried that my youngest kids will be SUPER tired in the afternoon. The afternoon is when I will NEED to have SSR and Writer's Workshop. I just can't swing the schedule any other way. I know that one of the K classes last year had NAP time! (it was a pre-k/K class) There were kids in the class who actually slept in the afternoon... uh, we have work to do... I can't have them sleeping! I don't think the kids from the other classes had a nap, but I do know they had a lot more recess.

What can I do to build up endurance in the kids so they can make it through the day??

I also planned a read aloud after lunch for a rest time, but am worried if i do that they will sleep. It's only 15 minutes, and I don't want to wake them up and then have them grouchy and not focused during SSR.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

I always have to give them a short recess at about 2:00pm. I have to shorten my math block, but they just can't handle going without a recess. In about January it becomes a sometime recess then in April I do away with it.

I do story time right after lunch and they don't fall asleep, but I DON"T let them lay down when I read to them.

4. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I have never had a first grader fall asleep in the second half of the day. I have had them fall asleep during the first half (because their parents let them stay up too late).

I have also had to do to writing in the afternoon. I planned it about an hour or so after lunch so that I could give them a snack first (which gave them a boost of energy).

It will surely be harder for them at the start of the year, but after a month or so, they'll get in the habit of working through the day.

I've also switched around subjects (alternating between math and writing during the "tired time), to make sure that they are getting some of each subject when they are at optimal learning times.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

At the beginning of the year, I always have sleepy students in the afternoon. The funny thing is this week I had a student who is repeating 1st grade to fall asleep. I couldn't believe it. When I see that they are restless I get them up for a brain break. Something ot get them moving.

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Get Brain Gym! It's fun and it'll wake them up.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

I agree. You'll need to do some sort of movement to get them up and awake! They are definitely sleepy at the beginning of the year and even into the middle but they get used to the new schedule and the fact that there is, sadly, no nap time in first grade. :)