Sleeping with the TV on

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 31, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

Does anyone else do this? I'm trying so hard to break this habit and I can't do it.

A little over a year ago my dog of 13 years had to be put to sleep. She slept with me for about 12 of those 13 years. It was really hard for me to sleep for about 2 months. It would be really hard to fall asleep and then I would wake up for a few hours in the middle of the night and instead of actually getting up-would just turn on the tv and eventually fall back to sleep. I don't know if it's become a virtual security blanket or what-but I can't sleep without it on.

And I wonder why my dreams are sometimes in an infomercial format :p. Am I alone here? Anyone ever break this habit?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2010

I had to break the habit when I got married. Even now (28 years later) I usually go to bed before him and I still fall asleep with the tv on. He just turns it off when he comes in. And then I turn it back on when he wakes me up with his snoring!!!

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Our stories are so similar. I started sleeping with the TV on when my dog was close to being put down. She was 15, almost 16. At least a few times a week she would have what sounded like an asthma attack. I kept the TV on so that I would have light in the room so I could make sure she was still breathing when I woke up throughout the night- and I always woke up a few times because I was worried about her. It has been almost 2 years and I still sleep with the TV on. I like having that little bit of light when I wake up in the middle of the night. Of course, I also sleep with an old pair of glasses on as well because I am so blind I can't see 6 inches in front of me, but that is another story. I don't move around much in my sleep and I like to be able to see the alarm clock when I wake up. I am so jealous of people with good eyesight!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2010

I used to leave the TV on but now it is the radio
    I have Tinnitus and the sound of the TV or Radio drowns out the ringing

6. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

I don't have a tv in my room for that very reason. My wife and I call our bedroom our "sanctuary." if you are serious, I would consider taking the tv out of your bedroom entirely.

P.S. I just typed all that on an iPad! My hip niece let me play on hers :)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2010

I never had a television in my bedroom until a couple of years into college. By that time it never occurred to me to keep it on when I was sleeping. Once I was out of college, I never had a television in my bedroom until we inherited a small television from DH's grandmother. The only place to put it was in the bedroom. It's never on unless we're watching it.

I like my bedroom totally dark when I sleep. I have blackout shades, blackout curtains, and no lights.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2010

Aww, that's sad for me to read. The companionship of a dog... :angel:

But, no, I would never do this. Besides, I don't have and won't have a television in our bedroom. I do sleep with a light on, though.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

I haven't had a TV in my room since I moved out on my own may years ago. I like my bedroom dark. I'm even bothered by the light coming from my alarm clock.

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

Since I moved out on my own I sleep with the TV on. I think for me it's a security issue. If I don't have sound on at all, I'll listen for any little nose and freak out. It also helps me not to worry about things right before going to bed.

I've tried reading instead and I just don't seem to sleep well.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2010

I don't have a TV in the bedroom. I don't think I could sleep with it on anyway. If my dh is away, I will sleep with the bathroom light on though. :eek:

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 31, 2010

Maybe you could wean yourself by using a sleep feature on the tv. Use the longest setting for a couple of weeks and gradually pare down. Then, you could consider giving the TV the old heave ho from your room altogether. Also, maybe one of those rain sound tracks or something to replace the tv might work....

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2010

I don't have a tv in my room either, but I do sleep with the radio on. I always have, even as a kid. I have trouble sleeping without noise like the radio. When I'm staying other places I'll use my mp3 player and use the sleep setting on it.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2010

Not really, maybe once in a very blue moon it happens.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 31, 2010

I used to sleep with the radio on but now it is the TV. I can't use "sleep" mode either. If the room gets quiet, I wake up. I also use it to drown out other noises. It never drowned out my husband's snoring... LOL.

I like the light it gives off so I don't bump into things going to the bathroom at night. :D

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 31, 2010

Umm.... Nope. Not for me. I've been trained to wake up to light so sometimes on the weekend I have to wear an eye mask. The tv would keep me awake. When my husband tries to watch tv late, I try to be patient for him to finish a show but that's about it. Then if he tries to fast forward through the show, it drives me crazy because it's like flashing lights rapidly going off. I can't stand that. So the tv goes off when we go to sleep and he can't watch it past the time I need to go to sleep. My kids, on the other hand, sleep with their tvs on almost every night. It doesn't bother my husband to hear the noise and I can't see it from another room so I'm okay. :)

Wanna know how I was trained? My dad needed me to learn to wake up to an alarm. Since I can't hear it, a light alarm was the answer (now have a bed shaker). He came in my room and poured water on my face (not a lot but still...) everyday for a week. I had within 5 minutes of that light going off before he would do it. By the 5th day or so, I bolted up straight and I've been able to wake up to a light alarm every since. My baby cry alert was also a light flasher. My husband got so used to my light alarm that I had to switch to a colored (blue) 25 watt light bulb for the baby flasher so it wouldn't jar him awake and he could rest some. When something goes, blinky blinky blink, blinky blinkyblinkyblinkyblinky (urgent), it's pretty jarring so that was the solution.

That was a side conversation but I felt like sharing. :)

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

I have to have it completely dark and quiet. I can't sleep at all if I hear noise, so I definitely can't fall asleep with the TV on.

18. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 1, 2010

My boyfriend sleeps with the TV on every night. I need it completely dark to sleep. He puts the TV on sleep timer… usually I'll just wait until it shuts off before I completely fall asleep.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

My wife cannot sleep without TV. So much, that we can't stay in a B&B unless the rooms have TV. So I've gotten real used to it. But she sets a timer, which is actually really good. I find the TV sort of distracting because I have to look at it if I can hear it.

I like to fall asleep on the couch watching TV (a habit I picked up in the military when I lived in the barracks). Sometimes it gets kind of weird. The other night I fell asleep watching Pulp Fiction and when I woke up Rachel Ray was on. I think my personality was a bit off for the rest of the day.

And what is on TV really does find its way into my dreams. Especially when it's some weird, arty film on the Independent Film Channel or one of those surreal, psychedelic "blaxpoitation" films from the early 70's.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

Sarge-you crack me up! :lol: Pulp Fiction to Rachel Ray-that's quite the jump.

Thanks for all the advice. I know I could take the tv out, because I can turn it off--it's just then I don't sleep very well. I toss and turn and if I do end up falling asleep, will wake up a few hours later and just lie there looking at the clock. I think it's like others stated the light is comforting somehow-maybe I just need a big nightlight! :) I guess you just get in the habit of something and it's hard to do it another way.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

I don't think there's anything wrong with falling asleep to the tv. Just make sure it's on the timer so when those loud infomercials come on at 2 AM, they don't wake you up.

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

I also have Tinnitus- the tv helps me (so does a fan). Dh hates it that I sleep with the tv on, but it doesn't bother me.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

What helped me was sleeping in a different room (spare bedroom) with no tv. Then, once I could sleep with no tv, I returned to my bedroom. I used a nightlight and a fan in the spare bedroom.

24. bizess

bizess Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

Yeah i do it too. I like to have something on as I drift to sleep but the TV sleep never feels as restful.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I can't sleep with it on. I need it to be dark and quiet.

26. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 1, 2010

DH and I don't have a TV in our bedroom & I like it because it means we both read or talk each other to sleep more and I also like having a dark room to sleep in. Before I got married, I used to sleep with the TV (put it on sleep timer for an hour or so) but I've found I sleep better without it.

27. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I used to have this problem. I got a TV in my room when I was about 7 or 8. I had strict rules of the time it needed to be turned off until I was 12 or so. From 12 on I slept with the TV on. It drove my dad insane that I was wasting so much electricity but it got to the point where I couldn't sleep without it.

When I moved out and across the country with my boyfriend (now husband), our new condo only had one TV in the living room. I had no choice but to sleep without a TV. I don't think I got a restful night's sleep for months. Then his mom introduced me to her "noise machine". It is really just a cheap air cleaner from Walgreens that she takes the filter out of to make it louder. It is the most wonderful white noise and helps me sleep so peacefully. That was 8 years ago and I'm now completely addicted to my "noise machine". So much that I have to bring it with me to hotels or I can't sleep!

You could try something like that to see if it is the noise from the TV that is comforting to you. If that doesn't work then I would try getting a night light to see if it is the dim light that you're used to.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

I don't like it to be completely dark or quiet when I sleep, but I told bf the tv was off limits to the bedroom. We always run a fan when we sleep and BF has a CPAP which is a great white noise maker.

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I had to break it 2 months ago. It is a sense of security somehow...it almost seems scary without it on. Like newbie said, if it's not on and I'm too awake to immediately fall asleep...I'll listen for any little noise and make it out to be something it's not!

Anyway 2 months ago we moved into a house and we only had one TV. Well that one is downstairs and we haven't gotten another for our bedroom...so I have just started falling asleep downstairs...and then I'll come up and just continue sleeping up here! So far so good...no nights up thinking about noises! :)

30. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I must sleep with the TV on. I had the hardest time when I was overseas since the stations weren't in English.

31. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

I had a friend that did it, and it drove me crazy whenever we had sleepovers. I like things really dark when I go to sleep, thus I'm not a napper. Sometimes I'll fall asleep with a DVD on, only when I'm really, really tired and can't quit get my mind to stop wondering. It distracts me go to go to sleep.

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 2, 2010

Buck8, I'm not a napper either. It would take me entirely too long to fall asleep and then I crash for 4-5 hours. Not worth it.

33. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

I used to fall asleep to the TV all of the time, but I would always use the sleep timer. In the last year or so I have stopped falling asleep to the TV, not consciously, but now that when I'm really tired I just turn the TV off.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

I'm a fall asleeper with TV on with timer. I actually don't like when hubby falls asleep with it on without the sleeper. I know call me crazy.

I usually just all asleep watching some old rerun of something.

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

It is a guilty pleasure for me, in the summer, to stay up late watching tv and fall asleep on the sofa. It makes me feel like I really got away with something, or reminds me of my youth, or something. I like to do it, but don't want it every night.