Sleeping issue...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 14, 2008

We have been back in school for about a week since Winter Break. On the Monday we returned, I had a student who fell asleep about every 7-10 minutes or so (very generalized guess here...). I let it slide the first morning because I knew he had had a hard weekend and was extremely tired. The next day he came in and immediately fell asleep while trying to do his morning work. I could not keep him awake for more than 5 minutes at a time. Upon discussing the issue with him, I found out that he is living about an hour or possibly more from our school now. His family apparently moved (OUT OF STATE!) over the break, so now he is traveling to get to school. I kind of let it go the first week in order to give him a chance to get it together. He came in this morning and the same thing is occurring. His dad is a police officer in the city and I'm not exactly sure how they're getting away with this. I talked with my principal last week about it and he gave me an "I don't care; I'm not helping" attitude. I went back to him today and asked how I need to address this issue because it's becoming a big problem. He wants me to write a letter to the parents expressing my concern, but not letting on that I know they're living out of state. How should I go about writing this letter without discussing the living situation? I'm not sure of how to go about this or how to word the letter. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

I would keep it completely factual. What would you say to the parents if you had no clue why he was falling asleep? I would probably think it was a medical issue.

This is probably what I would write: "I have noticed that Billy is falling asleep in class. This has been happening for the past week. On Tuesday, I had trouble keeping him awake for more than 5 minutes. I am worried about Billy's health. Please contact me to schedule a conference about Billy. "

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for your reply.
    Do you think it would be a bad idea to ask them to let me know if there have been any major changes in life / at home?

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 14, 2008

I have a child whose behavior is soo much worse since we came back from Christmas. I did ask Mom if anything had changed over the break. I do ask, I don't know if I should, or if I "can", but I do. Usually, when I ask, I probe a little bit & tell parents that even a small change that wouldn't bother us or an older child, could bother a younger child.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

That stinks that the principal isn't very supportive.

No advice, but good luck with the letter :)

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 14, 2008

You are a lot nicer than I am. When a child falls asleep in my class (and he isn't sick) I make him stand up. You can't fall asleep standing up!

Whether he lives an hour a way or not, he isn't getting enough sleep. There is no reason he couldn't sleep in the car on the way. For some reason, he isn't getting enough sleep. Of course you should look in to that.

I often have children who are allowed to stay up past midnight, and then their parents act surprised that the child is falling asleep in class! Go figure!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

Do you have a school social worker you can notify?

9. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

I would go with the concerned letter... I'm sorryyour principal isn't supporting you though - isn't it illegal for students to attend school in a district/school that is different than the permanent address?

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 14, 2008

in our state it is not against the law to go to school in a district that you don't live in as long as you started the year there legally. What is the law concerning them moving in your state?

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2008

Can't the student sleep in the car? I agree with the poster that they must be something else going on...

12. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 14, 2008

I'm definitely trying to figure out what is going on. I don't know about sleeping in the car. He doesn't get enough sleep...period. Something needs to change! I can't constantly walk by him and ask him to wake up!
    As far as I was aware, a student is not allowed to attend one of our schools if he/she does not physically live in the area zoned to our school. This family is living out of zone and, in fact, out of state.
    The letter has to be one of concern because I am not backed by the principal. I'm just working on the wording.
    I have to go through the principal to report anything to our psychologist / social worker.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

If your principal doesn't care that this student lives in another state, there's probably not much you can do about it.

I would continue to call or send notes home to the parent expressing your concerns about the student sleeping on and off throughout the entire day. If they don't respond to that, you might be stuck.

Without administrative support, we can't do much. :(

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2008

I'd skip the letter & just call the parents, tell them what's going on in class. You never know these days what a kid is going through. I've had a kid who didn't have heat in his house (winter time) and when he got to school, he slept. You can't sleep if you're cold. I let the poor baby sleep, you can't teach a child if his physical needs are not met. I contacted Social Services, counselor, parents, and principal. They got the child out of the home & into Foster care.