Sleepers!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by am elisheva, Aug 1, 2008.

1. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I had a few sleepers last year in my classes and I'm wondering, how do you prevent this potentially big problem and if/when it does happen, what do you do to put an end to it?

3. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

BTW, I found out that I will be teaching 9th grade Algebra 1 and 10th grade Geometry...taught all 9th grade last year

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I usually cruise by them and knock on the desk without comment. This year I have an "extra credit" points program (replacing my 10% preparation and participation grade) and being caught sleeping will cost them a point.

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

You might want to speak to the Guidance Department,there might be a serious reason at home why the children are tired, that the school should be aware about.

6. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

last year, I had one kid sleeping because he was talking on the phone late at night, that was easily fixed...but I had another that flat out refused to do any work...it was the same with all her classes and her parents were aware, I think she failed most of her classes...but Mrs K, elaborate on that points system, that sounds interesting.

I thought about doing the marble jar this year with rewards at certain levels, sleepers would cost the whole class...but I'm not sure if I would be able to keep up with six of those all year long.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

:hijack: Okay, hijacking for a moment to explain the points system:

In the past, I've reserved 10% of my grades for a preparation and participation grade, which I added at the end of each quarter. Kids paid very little attention to it, and I confess it was sort of an afterthought for me, too. I was casting about for another way to deal with this area, and a fellow teacher shared her system, which I have adapted somewhat.

The phrase "extra credit" really makes kids prick up their ears, and they'll go to great lengths to hang onto it. What I'll do is start every student off with 25 extra credit points each quarter. (This represents roughly 10% of the points available for the quarter.) On the first day, I'll have the kids brainstorm a list of infractions that can cause them to lose a point - and then, of course, I'll add my own. I expect it to include things like disrupting the class, not completing homework, sleeping, etc. My colleague gives them the list, but I want them to have ownership of the rules. The important part is that there is no way for them to earn points back - once they're gone, they're gone. I'll have a column in my grade book, which I keep handy, to mark point deductions. I'm calling mine PRAISE points - for
    P preparation, participation
    R respect, responsibility
    A attitude, attentiveness
    I interest, integrity
    S scholarship, serious habits of mind
    E enthusiasm, everyday punctuality
    (That's the latest version, anyway!)

I'm combining this with some Power Teaching methods to keep everyone moving. I teach senior English in a well-off district, and my kids by and large are great, but I'm determined to reclaim some of the time that's wasted in class.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Back to sleepers! :)

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Well, what I would do was if I was teaching would be to walk closer to the child who is laying their head (I don't think I ever had one who was actually sleeping, but laying your head on the desk is a no no as well). It works because they hear me getting closer and think "uh oh, better look sharp" or if they don't notice me closer, when they do finally glance up they will notice their other 25 classmates staring at them since I'm standing behind them.

If I wasn't teaching, and was just monitoring an in class activity, I would go up to them ask them "¿Estás bien? ¿Necesitas ir a la enfermera?" Are you okay? Do you need to go to the nurse? If they say they're ok and that they don't want to go to the nurse, I remind them that they have to keep their head up in class. It works well and gives me an opportunity to intervene if something really is wrong.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

This works very well with first graders but I don't know about high school kids-I just inform them if they don't wake up I will call home and let mom or dad know they need to go to bed earlier. It is amasing how fast they pull themselves together and if they don't it is time to call home anyway because either they are sick or need to go to bed earlier.

10. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

hmm, I could try that EM; I did have to do that with a couple of my 9th graders last year and it worked

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

12. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I love your postcard.Of course the way things are today, the parent would swear the child went to bed at 9PM,the principal would blame the teacher for not motivating the child and the child would be laughing at everyone.

13. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

that postcard is awesome! I will have to create some of my own.

14. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

actually Yank, it's different in high school...all a teacher has to do is make parent contact before the admins take over

15. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

"Jessi lift up your head, please"

"Jessi, will you continue the paragraph."

"Do I need to send you to the nurse or can you pick your head up?"

16. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I remember always being tired in highschool, no matter when i went to bed. I also worked two jobs, volunteered at my elementary school, and worked with my highschool's hockey team, so i was pretty busy.
    I only fell asleep once in class though - after a final when we weren't allowed to leave and had nothing to do. I know i was a zombie alot ofthe time though.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

When I taught upper grade elementary students, I often wished they would fall asleep in class. But that would have meant they'd have to stop talking first and I knew that wasn't going to happen.:)

I've taught nearly ever grade in K-12 and I've noticed there are only two groups of students that fall asleep in class - first graders at the beginning of the year and high school juniors and seniors.:)

But here's my suggestion.

Get out your camera. Take a picture of the student sleeping. Show it to the student when they wake up. Tell them the next time they fall asleep in class, you mail it to their parents.

It's also fun to do the trick where everyone tiptoes out of class at the end of the period and you have your next class sneak in quietly as well. I managed to pull that one off once. It was priceless watching the kid wake up halfway through the next period.

Remember, sleeping in class is non-disruptive off task behavior. However you deal with it, you don't want to interrupt your teaching in doing so. (except to take a very, priceless picture.;)

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

This is my take on sleepers also - did you check out my postcard I am sending to parents this year?? Great tip about taking a picture :lol:

I once had a sleeper 7th hour who slept until 3:30 (school's out at 3:05). Boy was he mad :lol:

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I took a computer course at a two year college this summer and while walking past a classroom,I noticed a teacher upfront interacting with the class while two students had their head on the desk as if they were dozing off. I don't want to jump to conclusions,since I was once playing a game with my class when the principal worked in and could not understand while one child as part of the game had their eyes closed and head on the desk,but in college this looked suspicious.

20. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Wake up !

:yawn: When I was student teaching my master teacher would wake up the student have and have them stand up for the rest of that subject or hour. The student found it hard to sleep standing up and they would atleast not fall back to sleep. You could also just simply wake the student up and then ask them if it would help them if they splashed some water on their face or stretched of a moment to wake up. (This helps me when I am falling a sleep in college classes):yawn::)

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2008

Yep. I think many of these ideas are cute and funny, but they draw a lot of attention to the situation and distract other students.

Usually, I just let the kid sleep. I figure that they are sleeping either because they had a rough night (it happens) and they need the sleep, or because they don't care about my class and/or their grades. The first situation can be worked around, usually with the help of the counselor. The second situation is a little trickier, but whatever I do to address it isn't going to be done during class in front of everyone else. In both cases, I tend to just leave it alone.

I do like the picture idea, though. :lol:

22. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

I also like the picture idea; my high school geometry teacher did that and put those pictures on her "Wall of Shame" but if I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to make my own postcards and simply drop one in the mail after school when a student falls asleep...I started this thread mainly because I could never correct the problem before an admin walked in and saw them sleeping.

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

I have woke the students up and then moved their chair away from the table so they didn't have anything to rest their head on. If you have desks, you can find a couple of extra chairs to keep at the back of the room for that purpose.

24. joshmon80

joshmon80 Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

A great question with great advice. Seeing topics like this is so helpful for new teachers. Thanks for everyone posting

25. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 29, 2008

I wake the kid up and do one of two things....

a) If I'm in a good mood I'll ask the student if they'd prefer to do their work standing. They usually perk up after that.

b) I skip the asking and tell the student to do their work standing up. When we're reading they hate it because the book is heavy. If we're writing they hate it because it's hard to write standing up. They usually don't do it again, though.

26. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

First Step: Wake up warning... Sally, I know that you may be tired, but I really need you to keep you head up. If you cannot keep your head up, I will have to make you stand.

Second step: Loss of desk and chair... Sally, I see that you are unable to stay awake; therefore, I am going to have you stand so that I can be sure that you are not missing any of the lesson/important material

Step three: Personal Conference after class: Sally, I saw that you were unable to stay awake in class. Is there any reason that you were having such a problem staying awake? What can I do to help you?

27. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I move around the room to reduce the chance you can just nod off in the back. If a kid has a head down, I stand right in front while I'm talking. If that doesn't work, I "jiggle" the desk (my first day of teaching high school, I tapped a sleeping student's shoulder, which led to, "You can't touch me!"). If the head goes back down, I ask them to sit up. If that doesn't work, I tell them they'll have to leave if they can't stay awake.

Basically, I don't let it slide. I annoy them until they snap out of it. If need be I'll suggest a trip to the water fountain or bathroom to splash water on their faces. They are teenagers after all. Remember? You could sleep 20 hours a day. Especially at the beginning of the year they experience difficulty changing their sleeping patterns to be fully awake for school. I try to be understanding (so that we're on the same side, not antagonists), but I also don't ignore a sleeping student.

If it's a habit, I'll ask outside of class why they're so sleepy and express concern. "Make sure to get some sleep!" I'll call as they leave class, or, "I hope you got some sleep this weekend!" as they enter on Monday.

28. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 12, 2008

When I was in high school, I had two teachers (both math) that would spray you with water or sing loudly in your ear. I wouldn't recommend either though.

29. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I love the picture idea!!