Sleep number and temper pedic type beds

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 8, 2014

Ive been researching these types of beds to see if we should upgrade to something like this since we're thinking of going from a queen to a king bed. I would love to hear from users or people you know who have them. To say they're pricey is an understatement so I'm just wondering is it worth it.
    We have various issues regarding sleeping and so it's made us think that perhaps something like these type of bed may be a good solution.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2014

I have had a sleep number for nearly five years now. We did not get the basic model, instead we got one of the more inexpensive models.

While the air chambers are covered in a life time warranty the foam that makes up the sides surrounding the two air chambers are only covered by a two year warranty. They failed at around 20 months. By the time we realized that is what the problem is, the warranty had expired and left us with a misshapen bed that had become uncomfortable. We had to invest in an expensive temper pedic style top.

The best purchase I made from sleep number was the cooling mattress pad that keeps that Temper Pedic top from making the bed too hot.

I would go temper pedic the next time and saved my $3500

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2014

My sister and hubby got a sleep number bed and they love it. He has back problems and sleeping was difficult before they got the new bed. I'm sure she'd recommend it.

5. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I'm looking into a new mattress also and I've read that the tempurpedic mattresses hold the heat in, which can make you very warm when you sleep. Since I have issues with getting too hot when I sleep, I've crossed that one off my list. I have not actually known anyone who has one of these, so this is just coming from my reading. Wldywall, thank you for the sleep number info, that is good to know also! I was afraid of the sleep number with the air chambers just because I'm fat and thought that might cause problems with the air chambers. If I have to worry about the foam around it too, it's probably not for me!

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2014

The air chamber part is great, but the foam sides broke down so quick....maybe if you go to the store and ask about that they can help you choose one with stronger sides or recommend a different kind of bed frame.

Also their heat/cool pads are FANTASTIC!

7. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

:wub: my Tempurpedic Cloud! I do not find it hot at all, personally. However, I think you can buy a certain model now with some type of cooling technology.

8. OwlTeach

OwlTeach Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

The old tempurpedics were hot because they didn't have the air flow circulating very well. Anyway, the new ones are not hot. In fact, if you go in the store, they feel cooler to me than regular beds.
    I have a Tempurpedic and so does my mom and aunt. We all three swear by it. On the other hand, everyone I know that has had a Sleep Number had some kind of malfunction with it. The motor can break, there is a part in the center between the two sides that isn't comfortable, mold, sides breaking down, etc. I wouldn't go that route. I also heard of 2 people who had Serta iComfort that said theirs felt like it lost support after about one or two years but because it didn't actually dip, the warranty didn't cover it.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 9, 2014

We tried a Sleep Number bed out in their store and I wasn't really impressed. I don't like something that might end up breaking.

On our honeymoon, our room had a king size Temper pedic bed- it was amazing! I still don't know if I could buy one though because in all honesty I was barely able to get out of bed in the morning- it was way too comfortable and I just wanted to continue sleeping. :) On the flip side, we own 3 cats and while they are litter box trained, one of them tends to get stressed out sometimes and will pee on our mattress. So I would be wary of getting a foam mattress since it would be harder to clean- I'm basing that assumption on how I had to clean (and eventually just threw out) our first foam topper after a kitty accident.

We spent about $900 on a good mattress and another $100 on a good foam topper. About 4 years later, our mattress is still really comfy with or without the topper, but we are noticing creaking in the springs. I purchased a mattress cover that is water proof to help protect the new foam topper from kitty accidents, but it's not 100% (but thankfully we haven't had any issues with our cats since getting it).

If we didn't have cats in our bedroom, I would happily save up for a Temper pedic mattress (after I retire... I know I would never wake up for work with one). :)

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 9, 2014

One thing about the Sleep Number bed is that you can buy and interchange the parts. There's also the 25 year warranty and limited warranty for some of the parts. I know I will have to get further clarification regarding that. The thing I loved about both was being able to lift the head rest.

We're also looking into the Beauty Rest which has a different technology and we loved the pillow top. Regardless, it would be $$$$ for a king! :eek:

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 9, 2014

My favorite bed is Denver Mattress. We've had one since we got married, which is too long, but they are fantastic.

My BIL gave us a tempur pedic to put into our camper. I should have wondered why he was giving away such an expensive mattress-we hated it. Hated it! Hot, and the selling point for most people was what I disliked so much. I couldn't move! Yes, this is supposed to be a good thing, but I did not like at all not being able to turn over, or get up.

And not to be too :eek:, but let's be honest-not being able to move doesn't necessarily help with...you know...:wub: