Sleep & Kids

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

My kids have gotten into the habit of staying up late, then sleeping half the day....actually most of the day. I've tried to make them go to bed earlier, but they get up after I go to bed. They're teens, so I know they sleep more, even become semi-vampiric, but school starts in 1 week :eek:

Oh, why am I on the computer at 1:17 am? :whistle: Sinuses won't let me sleep.

3. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I can't do anything about your kids, but as for your sinuses - do you have access to Tigerbalm? If you have a sinus headache, rub a very small amount (a little goes a long, long way) on the appropriate pressure points and in about 10 minutes, the headache should subside... doesn't kill the headache completely for me, but it dulls it enough for me to sleep. Hope it helps.

Tigerbalm can be found at Wal-Mart/Sams (in the pharmacy) if you can't find it anywhere else.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

At least they sleep at some point...mine are 8, 6, and 4, and while they like to stay up late (no matter what time they're put to bed, they don't fall asleep till close to 11 pm), they don't ever sleep in, either. Up with the sun...well, unless it's a school day and I have to be in early. Then they wouldn't mind staying in bed!

5. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I'm sorry about your predicament Trinda. It's hard to control when teens go to bed (even when you think they are sleeping, who knows what they could be doing!). I'm having the same problem with my kiddo. She's only 7 though and I have about 2 more weeks to get her back into her routine.

As for your sinuses, yes, do use the Tiger balm if you have any. It's like Vicks...it helps open them up.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Can you say sleep & Kids in one breath? I think there is a law against it?
    My teenagers stay up till 3-4-5 AM and sleep till after noon so I end up falling into the same schedule. but when I have to get up early I make breakfast (for me) just as loud as I can & I wake them up just for the hell of it (Yes I have a mean streak)
    One thing "good" is I have sleep apnea and have to wear a mask for a cpap machine so when I put on my mask my body says 'sleepy time' and I am then out like a light in 20 min or less

7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Mine are similar. I usually have even the oldest ( alomst 9) in bed before 10. But dagnabbit they wouldn't sleep past 6:45 all summer! Now mind you, I am usuallyup, but goodness give a mommma some quiet time!:woot:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

I think that my son usually turns off the light and the computer about 2 hours before I get up! He's usually up about noon, but does get up earlier when he needs to. He'll have a major adjustment in a few weeks when he heads off the university (although he was able to set up his schedule so that he doesn't have a class before 10:00am!)

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Sheila and 3 monkeys...
    I am in the same boat. My sons are 6 and twin 4 year olds. They are alseep at 9:30 and up by 6:00! They watch very little TV and spend the day swimming, in parks, on bikes, etc. They are using energy.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

You have a smart kid
    A Man's man
    Will he take the Lazy Boy too?

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I have 2 teens too! I make them get up at noon to join the land of the living. One has a mid Aug. birthday and after that is when we start transitioning the sleep and wake times. Ironically, I remember asking my MIL when the kids were little when they were EVER going to let me sleep in on a Saturday morning instead of waking up at 6 and needing attention. She assured me that the time would come when they'd get up and get a pop tart and watch tv. Well, that time came and went and now I have to make them wake up!

12. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 2, 2008

OMG and I thought that I was the only one with this problem!! My 13 yr old son stays up tilll 4am and then sleeps till 2pm. He tells me as long as he gets 9 hours of sleep evry day it doesn't matter when he gets it :lol: School for him starts on the 20th and we've already had the discussion about how his weird sleeping habits will be ending!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

I think that he is the lazy boy!!!

Actually, he's up and out of the house for work already this morning; tomorrow, he'll be out by 8:30!

14. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

I have the perfect solution: make your kids get jobs! My 13 year old son has been berry picking all summer and needs to be up at 5:45 so he's in bed by 11:00 every night. Although I have to be up every morning too to drive him, at least I know he's staying out of trouble. My 15 year old daughter never goes to bed very late anyway, but she works too, so when she works early, she's in bed early.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Gee, I'm glad it's not just me. It's 1:00 and I've only seen dd up. Jobs would be great, if there were any. Trust me, I've tried.

Anybody have a way to get a kid up when he's on the top bunk with a pillow over his head? I suspect he can hear me. I think he feels the bed shaking. Other than throwing a bucket of water up there, I can't get him up

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

17. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

When I was a teen at home my bedroom wall shared a wall with the kitchen. My dad's FAVORITE thing to do was bring out the coffee grinder at 6am and run it for about 10 minutes (or at least it seemed that way!)

Now that I'm in my 30's and have been gone for years and years, he still finds it funny. Last month when my husband and I were visiting, he did it, and then laughed and laughed and laughed.

It's just one of those "things".

Don't worry, if they make it to school, they'll be fine.

Kelly :)

18. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

My dad used a squirt gun.

Kelly :)

19. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 2, 2008

update...This morning I woke up at 1:41am and saw my son's light on. I went to his room, there he was sound asleep! I turned off the tv/cable/video games and turned his lights out and went back to bed. It is now 12:12 pm and both he and the cat are still sound asleep! It's a good thing we have no where to go this weekend!

20. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

My bedroom was off the kitchen (really odd house) and my mom would flip on the radio, then turn on my lights. :( My kids sleep through the lights. Even the dog barking next to them wanting out doesn't wake them up. I think I'll have to start the Kool-Aid again. :whistle: can't taste Benedryl in Kool-Aid :whistle: not that I did it often.

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

I used a spray bottle that I kept in the fridge so it would be cold. I only had to spray my dd a couple of times. I'd go in her room, tell her it was time to get up, check on her, and tell her I was on my way to get the spray bottle. She'd be up in no time.

As far as your sinuses, my family has/had chronic sinus problems and we found that there's a sinus wash: http://www.nasopure.com/?gclid=CIv94tat8JQCFQN2sgoduUqRrA

It's gross to use, but works wonderfully.
    You can also ask for this at Walgreens.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

I used to relish the late nites because it was my time. Nowadays, I have to make my son hit the sack around midnight; he'd stay up later if he could!! I have been going to bed between 1:30am - 3am and I'm up by 7:30!:eek:hmy:
    I hate my day to start off without me; it's cooler in the early mornings and that's the time to shop!
    We're gonna have an awfully hard time changing these terrible habits!! oh by the way, my husband is in bed by 9 pm and wakes up by 6:30!!

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2008

TeacherSandra--your husband's hours sound a lot like mine! During the school year, my light is out by 9:30 and I'm up at 5:15. I stay up later in the summer, but I'm still up before 7:00 every day.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

would you believe that during the school year, I try to go to bed by 11/11:30 pm because I have to be up by 5:30am!!

25. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 2, 2008

My cousin lives with my Nannie and she sings really loud and badly.

26. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

My daughter just turned 2 on July 5th. She'll sometimes go all day with no nap and make it up till 10 PM. It amazes me, I try everything to get her to sleep singing to warm milk.... :(

27. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

I've been doing that too---up till the crack of dawn and then up no later than 8:00. But last year, I was in bed by 8:00 and up by 4:30--long commute :(

OMG, ds didn't get up untl 4:30 today and only because I threw a dog on him! And tomorrow we have to be at the school by 7:00 to get his books and schedule!

28. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

Wow i am kinda of in the same boat teen stay up all night until 3 or 4 then goes into work and complains and then school starts the 7th. Daughter stays up sometimes until 10 or 11. Ugg she has to go to bed earlier tonight or she will have no hope come Thursday.

29. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

minor correction

Same thing with our daughter--new rule starting tonight-we're taking away her laptop and tv at midnight. She can read all night if she wants but spending her entire night on-line is just a terrible habit for her to get into--of course, it's ok for us because we are the adults!:lol:

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

:2up:

31. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

This is always the dilemma.

I think the best thing to do is just let them be tired for the first week of school. That will get them to start going to bed earlier.

I remember as a teen I loved to stay up all night. It was fun times. (usually reading)

32. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I gave up the fight. I know my son was up most of the night. I also know he wasn't awake until after 1:00 today (that's when I left). I'm gonna let him deal with the consequences!

33. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

Yes, why fight about it? He will have to get on schedule once school arrives. I have a night owl also. I finally told her that I could not sleep if she was up and about. I told her that showers, laundry, TV, computer, and phone had to be wrapped up by 11:00 pm. It worked for about 1 day! I have been lax with her because she is moving out soon and I figure my training time is past. She has calmed it down a bit, trying to help me get my sleep (she knows I have terrible insomnia and if awakened, I usually won't go back to sleep.)

34. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

A real dog?

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

When I was in high school, I had a bedroom in the basement so I could be up as late as I wanted and not disturb my parents. As long as I was up for school, they didn't care. I remember I use to listen to 'Pillow Talk' with Alan Almond every night with my friend, via phone, and we'd make requests to each other and listen to the midnight song. This was before internet access all over the house, too, so it was just me and the radio and the phone. But that's all I needed, and it was great. I turned out fine and now I can't keep my eyes open past 9:30-I'm out like a light on dh's lap on the couch!