Slavery/Civil War Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 7, 2006

Okay I posted this before but thought I'd bring it up again. :)

I need lesson/book/activity ideas for slavery, Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad, Lincoln, and the Civil War. This is for second grade.

Your help is appreciated!

3. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2006

I did a thematic unit with fifth grade on this topic. One of the books we used was Aunt Clara and the Freedom Quilt. I divided the students into groups and had them make quilt blocks for a construction paper quilt. Each group member could pick any topic they had learned about the civil war. Once they were finished, I gathered some staff members and had them judge the projects. Each group was awarded title and a best all around was given. I placed ribbons on the projects and it turned out great. We also made trains with underground railroad facts based on a different book.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 7, 2006

Oh I like the quilt idea.

5. allyd

allyd Rookie

Feb 14, 2006

Check out the books Dear Levi and Dear Austin. One of them is about slavery. It is a chapter book, but the kids LOVED it and learned a lot. (Sorry I can't remember which book is the right one!)