SLANT

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sunnyteach, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sunnyteach

sunnyteach New Member

Jun 22, 2010

I just received a copy of Teach like a Champion by Doug Lemov and noticed that many of the "champion" teachers use the SLANT classroom management technique. I had never seen or heard of it before and was just curious to find out how many of you use it.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2010

Hmmmm . . . there is a "SLANT" that goes along with my CHAMPs management system, but that's Randy Sprick. SLANT is for listening.

S--sit up
    L--lean forward
    A--act interested
    N--nod
    T--track

That's the only one I know. It may not be part of Randy Sprick's program, as I've pieced my management system from several sources.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2010

That's the same SLANT. I like the idea of having a cue word to bring students up to attention, but SLANT doesn't quite cut it for me with my seniors, so I think I'll use SET: sit up, eyes and ears open, and track.

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I like that, Mrs. K. Slant is too much for my second graders to remember. SET would work a lot better.

I already have students trained to sit up - they chant "hands on the desk, feet on the floor, chair all the way in." Once I get them trained in that, I can throw in the other two. Thanks!

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 22, 2010

I just drill into their heads:

Sit up
    Hands still
    Eyes on the speaker
    Mouth closed

We review this over and over through the year, and I ask students to show me what a good listener looks like. If you practice it enough, it's just as effective as an acronym, imo.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 23, 2010

Quantum Learning uses SLANT too. Love it. I put a square on the floor using colored electrical tape, and call it my Hot Spot. When I stand in the Hot Spot, I am about to say something that is REALLY important, so all students need to SLANT. It keeps the kids interested and paying attention.

I find that sometimes my sixth graders tend to "over-SLANT", exaggerating and trying to annoy me, but I don't mind-it doesn't annoy me, and they are actually being tricked into paying attention, without realizing it. ;)

8. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

I like that idea of the hot spot! I may try that out with my first graders this year!

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 23, 2010

This is new for me. Is it something that is more common with younger grades?

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 24, 2010

The Hot Spot works really well as a novelty at the beginning of the year. As the year goes on, they tend not to slant so vivaciously!