SKYPEing in school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sheila, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I have the chance to possibly SKYPE with another school across the country from me. I teach kindergarten and the other class would be kindergarten. Before I present this idea to my principal I need to have some ideas of why SKYPE would be beneficial at my grade level. One idea the came to mind was choral readings together. Possibly short skits and story retellings. Any other suggestions?

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

I participated in a videoconferencing grant about five years ago, and one of the goals was to enhance students' multicultural awareness of students from different backgrounds. I'm sure that can apply in your scenario, as well.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

I did this with Kindergarten...us in NY and them in Kentucky! We mapquested how far away we were, used a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast our school day and the area we lived.

We planned out our activities ahead of time- we had already both read the same book and completed the activity so we could share and discuss on our video conference. The students loved it and even at the Kindergarten level got the similiarities and differences.

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 11, 2012

You could have each classroom research a topic and present it to the other classroom. For example, one class could learn all about plants, then perform a skit to show the other class.