Skype, Virtual Field Trips and Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 10, 2010

Has anyone done anything related to conferencing with another school in another state/country? I am very interested in getting this off the ground, but am unsure as to what sites/services would be cost-effective and practical.

I have heard iearn.org and Skype, but beyond that, I'm pretty clueless. Any experienced virtual field-trippers out there?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 10, 2010

I haven't but my friend has. She has her students write A Renaissance Fairy Tale and she skypes students at a local Elementary school whose teacher she is friends with. The students are paired up and they have to incorporate certain things about their partners into their projects.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2010

Haven't done that... but I love skype -in with fam & friends... on with friend in South Africa this morning!!!

5. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Great post - I came on looking for some feedback on great video conferencing events. We have the hook up for it in school this year and I am excited to use it, but most of them are $$, so I want to go with something that's tried and true. Recommendations?

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2010

What grade do you teach?

Nassau or Suffolk?
    I work in Nassau and we get the emails from Nassau BOCES..or Library systems, Im not sure now.....but they often offer free video conferencing things on specific subjects for the first school that replys to the email....I haven't used it yet since Im new to this school but it looks intersting!