Skype an Author

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sundrop, Sep 23, 2009.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 23, 2009

I don't remember where I learned about the site, Skype an Author, but it is great! Through the site I contacted Mary Amato who wrote Please Write In This Book, among other things. We set up a Skype session for this morning. She read one of her picture books to my 2nd grade students when they came to the library. The students were just fascinated. It was fun to see how excited they got. :) I did this as part of my weekly Mystery Reader (which was an idea from Beth Newingham's website). Some of you who also do Mystery Reader might want to check out the Skype an Author site and set up a session for your students.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 23, 2009

Thanks sundrop! I have quite a few Mystery Reader slots open and will look into this for sure.

4. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Sep 24, 2009

Virtual visit

Is this the same as a virtual author visit? I have a friend who mentioned something about schools that can't afford author visits can sometimes get authors to do stuff for free via webcams.

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

I haven't heard of it referred to as a virtual author visit, but that sounds like the same thing. The author chatted with the students and read a story to them via web cams using Skype. It was free for a 15 minute visit. Longer, more in-depth visits do require a payment.

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 25, 2009

Sundrop - what author(s) did you have visit?

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

What technology do I need to use this?
    I have: computer, internet, can borrow a smart board w/ projector, but I don't have a webcam or a mike.

8. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

That's what I'm wondering, too....what components do I need?

9. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

I had Mary Amato visit us. She did a nice job reading to the students and interacting with them. She talked a little at the end about why she wrote the story too.

You would need a webcam with a mic or a separate mic. I purchased one that has a microphone built right in. It was about $100 but works great. Well worth the money. Looking forward to doing more activities with it throughout the year.